Camberwell Cemetery. New gate entrance

dennis

Surprised that the new entrance on Underhill Road doesn?t have a ramp for disabled or buggy access.

The two extant entrances (when they are open, currently Forest Hill Road entrance is shut for remedial works until 21st) both have full access. The steps are quite steep from Underhill - I wonder whether the space necessary to build a user-friendly ramp slope was available, it would have to curve round quite a way? The new 'upper' surface is mounded over existing graves - maybe building a curving access slope would have interfered (or was feared that it would interfere) with old (and now 'buried') burials.

The gate is lovely. Yes, it would be better if there were a ramp, but given that the other entrances are fully open to all and that this was part of a revamp of the cemetery istelf - ie. not just a plan to put in a new entrance - I think it is rational to have this entrance as it is. I am sure the council will have been through all the procedures to make sure the entrance does not constitute a snub to people in wheelchairs.