Bikes have priority traffic lights at East Dulwich Grove/Townley Road

iona85

Just went for some cycle exercise on Saturday afternoon, 16 January. At about 3.30 I waited at the lights coming from Townley Road to cross East Dulwich Grove to Greendale. The cycle traffic lights went green (they do so before the main traffic lights, to give cyclists a head start), a cyclist ahead of me went through and then when I came to cycle through, a pedestrian and his child, coming from the west of the crossing, tried to cross in front of me and shouted at me that the lights were f***ing red and that I was an idiot.

I go out of the house very rarely at the moment and while I realise that people aren't feeling great and can be more irritable right now, I feel even more rubbish being shouted at when I'm in the right. So if you're out there, person who shouted at me, please check out the situation next time before yelling at someone. And if you're reading this and this man and child are related to you, please point it out to them. Thanks.

iona85 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just went for some cycle exercise on Saturday

> afternoon, 16 January. At about 3.30 I waited at

> the lights coming from Townley Road to cross East

> Dulwich Grove to Greendale. The cycle traffic

> lights went green (they do so before the main

> traffic lights, to give cyclists a head start), a

> cyclist ahead of me went through and then when I

> came to cycle through, a pedestrian and his child,

> coming from the west of the crossing, tried to

> cross in front of me and shouted at me that the

> lights were f***ing red and that I was an idiot.

>

> I go out of the house very rarely at the moment

> and while I realise that people aren't feeling

> great and can be more irritable right now, I feel

> even more rubbish being shouted at when I'm in the

> right. So if you're out there, person who shouted

> at me, please check out the situation next time

> before yelling at someone. And if you're reading

> this and this man and child are related to you,

> please point it out to them. Thanks

The person should have seen that it was Red to them as a pedestrian ,so they have jumped a red , you are totally in the right , and i don't think much of the person shouting expletives with a kid in tow , don't let it put you off

Iona - try not to worry about it - there are a lot of idiots around at the moment who are too quick to lash out - I wholly suspect it is due to lockdown stress.

Also, I wonder whether the pedestrian was looking at the main lights rather than the bike lights (this does not at all justify their reaction). A lot of people don't realise that bikes have their own set of lights and priorities at many junctions and that it can be red for everyone else but green for cyclists.

It's quite simple, if everyone follows the instructions presented to them by the lights it works perfectly. I very much suspect that the pedestrian ignored their red light as they thought the main red lights would give them time to cross.

So they are very much the idiot rather than you and don't let them put you off getting out and enjoying some fresh air and exercise!

Thanks Tuscany se22 and Rockets. Your helpful comments were just what was needed. You're absolutely right - if it's red for the pedestrian they need to wait to cross as it could be green for the cyclist - they can't rely on looking at the main red light. Thanks all for your support.