Estate Agent's Leaflets

joealessi

Hi

A local independent estate agent continues to put their leaflets through my door despite having a Southwark Council 'No Junk Mail' sticker on my letterbox and despite me going in to see them and asking them (politely) not to.

Any witty/legal ideas on how i might get my point across to them..?

Best

Joe

They come no further than our front mat, because I take them straight to the recycling bin. Annoying, but only if you linger on it. Same goes for the pizza flyers, the "To the legal owner" letters (which are always estate agent marketing), etc, etc. They are distributed by folks who have no-doubt been told to put them through *all* doors. Just recycle and forget :-)

Totally understand your annoyance! Despite being on the mail preference list, I continue to get monthly letters from Virgin Media, which I've taken to posting back to them... I would be sorely tempted to save up my junk mail for a week or two and then deliver it all to the estate agents and see how they like it!

GrahamP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a stock of large envelopes.

>

> Leaflets can be returned by post, without a stamp

Interesting.. So it costs them, i suppose.

Just to be clear, their leaflets aren't posted, they're delivered by hand; when i asked them which company they employ to deliver them, a smart, articulate member of their team said that they do the deliveries themselves and that he's the one that delivers to my road.. I asked him if could read English and if so why did he choose to ignore the council sticker.. He just looked at me blankly, like some robot who wasn't programmed to deal with an honest, simple question. Then the manager popped up and asked for my address so that in future they wouldn't leaflet me, (being a *little* cynical i declined, thinking that just to amuse themselves and relieve them of the mind-numbing boredom of their jobs, they'd sign me up to every estate agent's database in the land just to spite me) I just asked them to respect people's wishes, if there's a sticker on the letterbox, walk on by! In one ear, out the other.. Pond life.

These last few days I myself have been leafleting, political / neighbourhood-project informational materials, on my road and those adjoining it -- have seen the NO JUNK MAIL stickers -- and have ignored them, using the sophistry of, "But this isn't junk mail; it's something that will improve your life, not junk at all!" Pizza-takeaway enthusiasts might feel the same way about their filled-crust two-for-one brochures.

A real and effective deterrent to junk mail: Put the letterbox slot not at the usual, convenient, door-handle height but instead in the bottom transverse member of your house-door. Doors like those I'd gladly pass by. Only a strong sense of perceived civic duty has kept me stooping all the way over (oof!) to lift the flap and push those flyers through.

I also deliver leaflets for the local Resident's Association and ignore the Junk Mail signs as these leaflets give informative information about local events/planning applications/social events/workshops.

My recycling blue bag is right by the door, any estates agents/virgin media/pizza leaflets go straight in the bag