Postman woes

MediaBoy

I know this is going to sound like a first world problem, but I'm having serious issues with my postman.

He keeps delivering my post to another property with the same number nearby.

And just to make things worse, now I've started receiving other properties' post.

Obviously it's great to be able to go over and meet my neighbours. But I'm starting to find it a bit frustrating. I've mentioned it politely to the postie but he's not cottoning on.

Any other EDFers having the same problem?

Yesterday my postman arrived around 6pm - I was teaching so watched him delivering from the bay window. No bell was rung. This morning I found a collection card for some very important documents which needed a signature and potentially could have nulled some insurance. Not happy with them at all. Get more and more collection cards these days...rant over! They are obviously hugely stretched.

Definitely agree with "Gadge". I've complained before, about delivery cards (when I was home and they clearly didn't call), items at the delivery office but no card popped through, etc. Complain politely every time. Keep a record of any markings on packets (when you finally get them), as they often want to know numbers/markings to be sure that Royal Mail delivered it, not some other courier. If you aren't happy, Tweet about them. They hate that, and are generally really responsive - lol

At this time of year they are using lots of temp staff who don't know the areas they are working in and will be gone in a few weeks.

When I asked why a recorded delivery package with irreplaceable contents had been left on the doorstep in the rain, I was told that the sorting office is no longer allowed to hire its own temporary delivery staff (who used to be mainly local students). The temp posties for the last few years have been hired by and supposedly trained by external agencies. Seems the training doesn't include explaining what recorded delivery is.

• 2 weeks later...

The Inland Revenue sends out instantly identifiable envelopes,

some of which contain refund cheques which are getting stolen at the sorting-office stage. According to the police it's massive-scale & gang organised.

A reminder, though, that everyone at the Post Office works in a position of trust. The fraudsters were successful because the Inland Revenue failed to let people know when they posted the refunds.

But follow up all the missing letters you know about & insist on getting your post accurately addressed. Would it help, MediaBoy, to create a new house name/number to avoid confusion?

Big postman woes here. We live at the top end of Barry Road and in the last month or so we've had about ten pieces of mail delivered here that have a different door number or sometimes even different road on the address. We assume it is because of temp staff. Three weeks ago a card for our seven year old with birthday money from an older relative in it arrived open and the money missing. And another card with a birthday tenner from another granny didn't even turn up. We have never had any problems like these before - our previous postie was fab. I suppose someone must be very desperate to steal from a card clearly intended for a young kid.

lol i keep getting the post for next door but one... not far to drop off but still.

My bigger gripe is with people that move house and don't give out their new address! I get more post for someone that lived her two years ago than i get for myself. Junk mail fair enough just gets binned but there's hand-written things like cards and even phone bill looking things! and why do Boden send their customer a catalogue nearly every week (again this is the previous people) what a waste of paper!! I'm sick of binning the damn things and doing a return to sender session nearly every week with wodges of letters is doing my nut in. Soon it will all get binned!

pollys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Three weeks ago a card for

> our seven year old with birthday money from an

> older relative in it arrived open and the money

> missing. And another card with a birthday tenner

> from another granny didn't even turn up.

xxxxxxxx

Did you report both these?

Royal Mail take this kind of thing very seriously.

Their monthly staff paper, Courier, includes a section on posties who have been successfully prosecuted for this kind of theft, presumably to deter the rest. But if thefts aren't reported, Royal Mail's Investigation Department can't investigate!

Although you are unlikely to get the money back (because Royal Mail always make it clear that money should not be sent in the normal post but by a secure service such as RMSD, which includes insurance), reporting it at least makes it a little bit more likely that the thief may be caught and the same thing won't happen to anybody else.

And I know it shouldn't be necessary, but maybe ask the Granny and other relative to do a bank transfer to your bank account next time, and you give the cash to your child? I know, I know .....

Edited to add: Sorry, RMSD is Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Slightly off-topic but a few years ago I arranged to have my post redirected whilst abroad. In the year I was away, countless stuff was lost: mortgage statements, stuff from my bank, insurance info/renewal letters etc. I spoke to some useless robot, was told to write in ? which I did, twice actually as they claimed not to have received my first complaint - and then received a letter back about a month later saying that there was not a lot they could do about it. They sent this letter to the wrong address. I kid you not.

On the Sunday morning before Christmas at about 10.30 am a man turned up on our doorstep with several parcels asking for any cards we had for those that couldn't be delivered in the days before so he could see if any he had were ours!

As far as we could tell he was in a private car, was friendly but panicky, had no identification on him and did not seem to know what he was doing. And he had no machine for parcels that needed to be signed for.

Fortunately for us none of the parcels we were expecting were presents and we could tell from the packaging which one in the clutch he had was ours. And, of course, we grabbed it.

Needless to say he wasn't out normal postie who seems really good and reliable.

Stupidly we forgot to contact Royal Mail to question this.

Next time it happens - and we're sure it will with privatisation - then we will report it and complain.