Update: Open again (Avoid lordship lane - accident)

sophiesofa

Hello,

Unfortunately there has been an accident near the police station on lordship lane. I'm not sure what happened but there is a bus blocking one way, an ambulance the other and I heard someone mention a cyclist but I can't confirm that as I didn't want to snoop. Traffic isn't moving in either direction so find a different route.

gimme... if you don't drive any other road vehicle you obviously will never know!! cyclists CAN be very difficult to see, SOMETIMES they just appear from nowhere!

i think it is equally important for cyclists to know & understand road rules. as a driver of a much larger vehicle, i think for ALL road users, a course should be designed which shows everyone the view of the road & get a better understanding from another road users eyes.

all it takes is a simulator designed course where you would see the road through the eyes of a lorry driver, for instance

by the way i drive a car also......

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> gimme... if you don't drive any other road

> vehicle you obviously will never know!! cyclists

> CAN be very difficult to see, SOMETIMES they just

> appear from nowhere!

>

> i think it is equally important for cyclists to

> know & understand road rules. as a driver of a

> much larger vehicle, i think for ALL road users, a

> course should be designed which shows everyone the

> view of the road & get a better understanding from

> another road users eyes.

> all it takes is a simulator designed course where

> you would see the road through the eyes of a lorry

> driver, for instance

> by the way i drive a car also......

No-one appears from no-where. It's *always* down to a lack of concentration. I speak as a cyclits, pedestrian and driver (of large lorries, in the distant past).

sweetgirl Wrote:

> gimme... if you don't drive any other road

> vehicle you obviously will never know!! cyclists

> CAN be very difficult to see, SOMETIMES they just

> appear from nowhere!

>

No, bikes cannot possibly 'appear from nowhere'. If you are turning out from a side street onto a main road it is entirely your responsibility to check that the way is clear and not to pull out into another vehicles path, regardless of the type of vehicle.

Do hope that cyclist is OK.

Be safe be seen is especially important. Drove past a cyclist this eve with NO LIGHTS on his bike. He was virtually invisible. Though as an ex cyclist I keep a very good eye out. It may not be cool but lots of lights and reflectors do help keep you safe.

i have been in a situation in the past where a cyclist dressed in dark colours, on a dark, wet & cold evening was cycling past as i was pulling out of a parking place, in a large vehicle.... oh... & no lights

something told me to hold back, which i did.... & guess what this prick cycled past me!!! i could've killed or seriously injured that person.... thankfully i didn't! hi-visibility vests should be worn by cyclists at all times!!!! & lights should be a must!!!

On so many occasions I have been crossing at a pedestrian crossing and have been nearly hit by a cyclist who had totally ignored the crossing. And don't start me on the number of cyclists who treat pavements as high speed cycle tracks. At least a couple of cyclists have killed pedestrians in this way.

My wife was nearly injured by a cyclist who was cycling in the road while his dog was attached to a lead and running along the pavement. She had to jump out of the way.

And the sanctimoniousness of some cyclists, who feel that they are saving the planet and can therefore do what they like, makes Bono seem shy and modest by comparison

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> On so many occasions I have been crossing at a

> pedestrian crossing and have been nearly hit by a

> cyclist who had totally ignored the crossing. And

> don't start me on the number of cyclists who treat

> pavements as high speed cycle tracks. At least a

> couple of cyclists have killed pedestrians in this

> way.

>

> My wife was nearly injured by a cyclist who was

> cycling in the road while his dog was attached to

> a lead and running along the pavement. She had to

> jump out of the way.

>

> And the sanctimoniousness of some cyclists, who

> feel that they are saving the planet and can

> therefore do what they like, makes Bono seem shy

> and modest by comparison

These 'nearly' stories just annoy me. On the bike I've been hit twice by vans in the space of 6 months while their drivers were on the mobile phone - including suffering one broken elbow. While cycling to work I was NEARLY hit by vehicles almost every day...Save your 'it almost happened to my wife once' stories.

Per Sweetgirl's nonsense about cyclists should take courses on how to avoid being killed by drivers who aren't paying attention.... cycle in London and you get an immersion course in that every time you go out on a main road... I drive more than I cycle and haven't even come close to hitting a cyclist in 20 years due to two things: wing mirrors and a bit of awareness...

Gimme, I agree that cyclists often have a bad time from car drivers, but two wrongs don't make a right. There are very many cyclists who let the side down because of their arrogance and dangerous cycling. And I reserve the the right to post accounts of accidents or near accidents that my wife and I have suffered, no matter what you say and however much it annoys you.

My sister, as a pedestrian, was in a collision on the pavement with a cyclist. He knocked her over and didn't stop and she is still unable to walk properly. I almost collided with one who had jumped a red and came round a bend. I have always been wary of cyclists - you see them in your mirror and then they disappear as they weave in and out of traffic- the highway code says you should treat bike riders as small cars- pity they don't behave like them!

And your point is? Makes your 'nearly' story seem a bit pointless doesn't it.

1800 people killed in road accidents last year (none of them by cyclists). 16 cyclists killed in London last year. And you think one example of someone getting hurt by a cyclist means that cyclists are a significant menace....

One of my friends is just getting full use of his wrist back after a pedestrian walked out in front of his bike 5 months ago... Are pedestrians a menace to society? Discuss...

A sentence straight from the Dictionary of Cliches, along with "tell me about it!", "get a life!" and "I don't believe I'm hearing this!".

As I said earlier, two wrongs don't make a right. There are dangerous motorists, many of whom should be locked up, but there are also dangerous and careless cyclists, who are very often their own worst enemies, e.g. those who cycle at night in dark clothes with with no lights.

I'm a cyclist and a driver and as with every situation there is good and bad, right and wrong.

I get very annoyed at the cyclists who treat roads as a playground, the ones who ride in black in the dark no helmet no lights if they get hit who's fault will it be???

On the other side there are good cyclists who follow the road rules and wear the correct gear and are very road wise ( I include myself in this )

There are drivers who have no awareness of other road users whether it be bike, pedestrian or motor vehicle driver and we all know the kind. The ones on their mobile phones mostly but other examples do apply!

And then there are many many great drivers out there who are aware and polite and sensible.

My point is faults are among all types but we have a tendency to stereotype/tar all with same brush based on our own experiences.

Let us all treat road users how we want to be treated PLEASE!!!

"My point is faults are among all types but we have a tendency to stereotype/tar all with same brush based on our own experiences."

That is true but it paints a distorted picture where the risk actually lies. Of accidents involving a bike and another road user only 2% are caused by a cyclist jumping a red light or stop sign. In accidents involving a bicycle and a motor vehicle 60%-75% are solely the responsibility of the driver.

In 2009 DfT figures show that 426 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles; none were killed by cyclists.

Of course 2 wrongs don?t make a right but as a society we should focus on stopping the behaviour that causes the biggest risk of death and serious injury to other first.

The biggest risk to pedestrians is bad driving.

The biggest risk to cyclists is bad driving

The biggest risk to car drivers is bad driving.