North Cross Rd market

bob

Are any of the stalls there currently selling non-essential items? In which case these should probably be closed, but otherwise open air sales of essential items would seem to be both legal and a service. It is up to individuals visiting these stalls to socially distance, or if vulnerable to choose not to visit.

Food and drink may be classed as ?essential? but i am very surprised Southwark allowed it to go ahead. Obviously I can entirely understand the instinct of the vendors to want to keep going with their small businesses but it did not look in keeping with the spirit of lockdown at all, lots of people maskless and in close proximity to one another. In an area where 1 in 20 are estimated to have covid, it did seem irresponsible. But then probably no different to how busy the rest of Lordship Lane was today. I Was really surprised to see it open though!

Yep.

1000+ deaths a day (that?s over 1/3million per year, pro rata) and people insist on hanging out down the market, while being enabled to do so by the authorities.

We?ll be going round and round with this pandemic for years, precisely because of this kind of behaviour.

Hog Roast Man Was there today. Selling Food .. No Mask.

As were some Other Traders Selling Food.

Most Traders were wearing Masks.

Crowds of people not wearing masks

I do not believe Hog Roast is an essential commodity,

I have survived for many years not eating it.

I do not consider ANY street food as Essential.

Buying Eggs.. Vegetables and the like to take home is a different matter.

The Market needs to be closed until we get out of lock down. (March - April) if we are lucky.

Too many people and very little social distancing.

DulwichFox.

I guess the problem at places like the market with lack of social distancing and mask wearing is that people think they are invincible or immortal until something comes along and knocks them

With covid, there is the false belief that it only has a major impact and risks to those with underlying health conditions or over a certain age so the youngish residents of the area think it's okay to take a risk.

Recently younger and fit people have been catching it and getting sicker (I wish they could all just go and see how many people of their age groups are in hospital) and even if they get it mildly there is the lingering issues of long covid that effects some.

Strangely it's starting to look like, with the new variants and people not following the rules, that the way out of this will be a combination of vaccination and herd immunity* as so many will have had it by the end of this year.

The longer term costs to our collective health is unknown and we may see an increase in the number of people dying prematurely over the following years, or financially crippling the social care system by ending up with debilitating conditions (no evidence is available yet for either of these speculations but it's not beyond the realms of possibility)

I suspect that very soon we will be required to wear masks everywhere outside of our own homes to enable a sharper downwards curve.

🤔 Maybe those who are caught transgressing the safety of others (including nor wearing a mask when they should) , not taking up the jab if offered or attend anti lockdown protests should have their NHS number recorded and not receive treatment from the NHS or be made to pay for any treatment they do receive in respect of catching Covid.

* I'm not advocating herd immunity, just speculating that with rising infections it will occur naturally.

Looks like Brockley Market were taking it seriously - this is from their Twitter feed:

The Mayor of London along with Government guidelines state people must STAY HOME and only go out for ESSENTIAL?S including FOOD SHOPPING. Brockley Market will be open today for your ESSENTIAL FOOD & DRINK PRODUCE SHOP ONLY (No Street /Hot Food options will be at the market this week unfortunately).

The key government message is ?hands, space, face?. So all customers must wear a face covering (where possible) and keep their distance & follow current ?COVID? rules.

Brockley Market?s message is COME, SHOP, LEAVE. All food and drink purchased must be taken away & consumed OFF SITE. No meeting up or mingling please - we ask for a maximum of 1 or 2 members per household to visit for your weekly ESSENTIAL shop.

We will be limiting the number of customers into the market, so you may have to be patient & queue to enter the market.

It will be a tough few months, but if we all follow the rules, then we hope to remain open & will see a brighter and more normal spring and summer at the market.

I must say I?m inclined to agree re: whether this sort of thing should really fall under the ?essential? bracket. I saw a group stood eating falafel wraps chatting wondering if that really could be classed as essential food? It makes me sad that we even need to be trying to convince younger people that covid could affect them too; why can?t it be enough that their actions could indirectly lead to a horrible and lonely death for someone older or more vulnerable? There seems to be a disconnect between ones individual actions and the wider impact - everyone thinks it?s someone else?s problem. I don?t care that I?m unlikely to get very ill, I just couldn?t live with myself if I knew my behaviour had contributed to another person?s untimely death. Even if one does believe that food stalls fall safely within the permitted parameters, it still needs to be accessed safely and there is no way this is the case with the market as it stands. Obviously we all want to return to normal life ASAP and want small businesses to survive, I love the NCR market, but the longer we are complacent the longer this all takes and the more people and families suffer

My friend works at Kings and said all beds are full from our local area intake of COVID patients. It?s almost as if people can?t see it so pretend it?s not happening. All doctors from all specialties are called to help and other areas are left with skeleton staff. There are not enough resources for the COVID sites and patients will be shipped outside of London.

It?s incredibly scary. A friend of mine was planning Christmas with her inlaws and within two weeks one of them had died and the other just released from hospital to an empty house.

It sickens me that people are so ignorant (their choosing) and flippant about it (also their own choosing). Perhaps, for now, they don?t have anyone they personally know affected but this is no excuse to show such blatant disregard for other people.

Agree, street markets should be closed for the moment, people are using them to buy food and meet up with friends, was shocked to see how busy North Cross Road was today (looking down from Crystal Palace Road), just not worth the risk. I'm still hearing people say 'it doesn't affect young people', which really isn't either the truth or the point!

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All you people who were in the market but not

> there to buy anything , just there to see how busy

> it was, are a much bigger problem than the

> customers.

>

> There are plenty of alternative routes around the

> market that you shoild be using instead.

Whilst I see your point,some people have to walk through the market to get to Lordship Lane (alternative routes double their journey and potential infection risks) , some may have been picking up goods (pre ordered) from shops on North Cross Road and then there is the added pressure of the market.

It's a combination of not staying home unless it's for essential shopping (not sure street food falls into this IMHO) and blind stupidity of failing to social distance and not wearing masks in crowds.

I wonder how many people here saying the market should be closed are people who disliked having the market there anyway. And I wonder how many people ill in hospital now are there because having nine months of "stay at home" and cancelled operations is really bad for our health, but that's another argument.

My colleagues in the NHS are at breaking point. My best friend was called on NYEve to call around his team to ask for volunteers for the intensive care unit .... to help prone patients and act as assistants to the ITU team as they were so short handed. I?m so glad that people had access to a nice pork bun! Seriously 😑 I don?t blame the guys selling food on the stall...it must be hard if that is their only income. The Government should pay people to stay at home, if you can?t pay your rent or mortgage you can end up homeless...which won?t help the NHS as it increases morbidity and pressure on health services. But.....Southwark need to work within the crap parameters that this incompetent Government have given us. I think making masks mandatory if people want to run stalls and shop in the market is a good compromise.

Actually, it?s TWO other arguments.

The first one though, I don?t think anybody dislikes the market enough to actually want it to disappear-that?s probably your imagination.

There may be people who don?t like what is on offer at the market but that?s different.

snathani Wrote:

> I wonder how many people here saying the market

> should be closed are people who disliked having

> the market there anyway. And I wonder how many

> people ill in hospital now are there because

> having nine months of "stay at home" and cancelled

> operations is really bad for our health, but

> that's another argument.

🤣

So is this the new birdwatching, people leaving their homes and going to the market just to see how busy it is ?!

What proportion of people in the market were doing that, in your estimation - in order to be a much bigger problem than the customers ?

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> All you people who were in the market but not

> there to buy anything , just there to see how busy

> it was, are a much bigger problem than the

> customers.

>

> There are plenty of alternative routes around the

> market that you shoild be using instead.