Plane Stupid (ED protester)

Ladygooner

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Q... What's with the title? Are you saying the

> paper article is stupid, she was stupid for being

> on the roof, or simply because she's from ED?

Plane Stupid is the name of the action group.

mark my words- the actions of precocious white middle class anarkokidz will be the spark that ignites the flames of revolution in this country - until they finish University and get a job that is.

its easy to be a radical with crusty Chic clothing and Dreads-lite and you have ther time & support to play the revolutionary for a couple of years

A Bit harder to live this life when you are on the bottom and struggle to keep your heads above water

(note: post to be read with something of a tongue in cheek)

Snorky and Quids - pish and piffle. Is Olivia to be denied a conscience or a point of view because (if) she is white and middle class? Or would you have preferred her to be attending Hunt balls, and sharpening her boot heels better to grind the faces of the poor?

If you're going to play the silly points, I shall have to go one further and accuse you both of being misogynists for attacking her. Please let's not go down that overtrodden route.

I would take the tongue out of your cheek moos, I agree with your sentiment. It's the usual inverted snobbery that people trot out on here.

a) not all students are white or middle class and conversely not all white middle class young folks are students

b) anyone can have a social conscience

c) so what if she is a future partner of Goldman Sachs?

Im not mysogonist- I despise everyone >:D<

Its just on the balance of probabailities, its a litle hobbyette, a bit of late teen angsty chest beating and an excuse to smoke roll ups and pontificate to those that have sold out to "the man" - It is all probably jolly good fun tho' and I dont doubt her sincerity at the minute.

I remember how niave I was at her age - it makes me shudder thinking about it.

OK, this is a little off topic, sorry - but a point for debate:

Do we all drift to the right (regardless of where we started out) as we get older? I don't mean in a party political, but in the sense of becoming more generally conservative?

Moos Wrote:

> OK, this is a little off topic, sorry - but a

> point for debate:

>

> Do we all drift to the right (regardless of where

> we started out) as we get older? I don't mean in

> a party political, but in the sense of becoming

> more generally conservative?

IM not as textbook left, but have thought things through more to arrive at conclusions

when yer young, its much easier to come out with whatever guff you have been given to read or your peers are quoting - thats why you dont see any swappies ( SWP ) sellers older than about 26 ( there are exceptions tho', as i see down at ED station soem mornings and often make a disparaging comment to )

???? Wrote:

> my future prediction for Olivia Chessel aged 30 -

> Senior partner at Goldman Sachs

Mr 4 Quid (or Ms), I'm thinking maybe you are overestimating odds of any female person becoming partner at Goldmans.

from the Washington Post, 2007:

>

Bless them, in 2001 they had a minuscule number of female partners, and by 2007, they had double a miniscule no of female partners!

Suspect double minuscule is probably one of those tricky maths things that turns out negative. Olivia more likely to turn out as Chief Exec of BAA.

Perhaps also there is very good reason for persons from ED to be protesting, she seems to be only one who has read the report that shows just how noisy it will get in SE22 and SE15 if plans go ahead. Even the middle classes entitled to a bit of hush?

One of the things I found quite interesting about this was that actually the picture on the front of the Metro of Olivia Chessel was of a beautifully presented woman - a tweed skirt, very conservative blouse and a string of pearls around her neck. Quite frankly she looked as if she had stepped out of a Noel Coward play. When I saw the picture inside - which are the ones Mark has linked to she looked typically grungy - the absolute stereotype of a protester.

I have no idea which image is Olivia's preference - maybe she does both looks(!) but dressing for middle England while standing on the roof of the House of Commons was a stroke of marketing genius - far more difficult to dismiss as simply another crusty.