Constitutional Club to New Nursery

ed_pete

When we were looking for good quality nursery provision it was extremely hard to find - especially with the longer hours we needed at that time. This new nursery looks amazing - its quite expensive but then the facilities sound good too so it would definitely have been of interest to us. They also look to do lots of extra stuff beyond normal daycare in terms of family activities.

Whilst i can understand that EDG isn't overjoyed about it opening right next door, I don't think that it would matter if it was a couple of streets away either. If its within walking distance of East Dulwich Station and has good outside space its going to be attractive! It might be that the price differential with EDG is enough to be a differentiator, but no idea as EDG don't seem to have prices online.

On the car free point - it needs much more cycle parking, for parents and staff, but i also think that what you expect when you sign up to a nursery really matters. Like if you take a place thinking that you'll be able to drive there and park nearby and you suddenly can't then thats a huge issue as your plans work having thought you would drive. If driving isn't an option, then you know that it needs to work in an alternative way. Also we need to assume that at some point people will stop working from home and go into offices again - and driving to the station, going home (as there's a CPZ near the station) and then driving back home to drop off a car and then walking back to the station isn't that likely!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Metallic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What an abysmal idea which will ruin the lovely

> nursery next door. This one is posh and expensive

> apparently. There is already so much traffic and

> queues in the area and this will add to the rush

> hour problems as parents arrive for drop off and

> collection.

> Hope all those NIMBY people in the roads closed

> off opposite will enjoy a constant stream of quick

> parking then u-turning drivers who will use your

> gorgeous quiet roads.

> Serves you right if you don't like it. Your road

> systems have created the queues and pollution we

> and all the schoolchildren have to endure, time to

> re-open all the side roads currently closed off,

> and look at the possibilities properly.

This is a weirdly vitriolic post.

Not sure how the second nursery would "ruin" the first. Nurseries around here are wildly oversubscribed, and the people that run the first nursery are businesspeople too.

I do feel vitriolic towards people who NIMBY their lives away without a thought for others, socially those less able to afford an expensive nursery, BAME residents with extra traffic already outside their front doors, you know, those sort of people. Those closed off roads were done at the beckoning of a few people who don't understand joined up living for the many, not the few.

Metallic Wrote:

> I do feel vitriolic towards people who NIMBY their

> lives away without a thought for others, socially

> those less able to afford an expensive nursery,

> BAME residents with extra traffic already outside

> their front doors, you know, those sort of people.

> Those closed off roads were done at the beckoning

> of a few people who don't understand joined up

> living for the many, not the few.

At the risk of stating the obvious... does angrily protesting this new nursery not make you a massive NIMBY?

vmdgg Wrote:

> Metallic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I do feel vitriolic towards people who NIMBY

> their

> > lives away without a thought for others,

> socially

> > those less able to afford an expensive nursery,

> > BAME residents with extra traffic already

> outside

> > their front doors, you know, those sort of

> people.

> > Those closed off roads were done at the

> beckoning

> > of a few people who don't understand joined up

> > living for the many, not the few.

>

> At the risk of stating the obvious... does angrily

> protesting this new nursery not make you a massive

> NIMBY?

NO! I am concerned about traffic, pollution, little lungs breathing in toxic air, you know, things that matter to people.

Metallic Wrote:

> I do feel vitriolic towards people who NIMBY their lives away [against...] those less able to afford an expensive nursery

You're worried about how expensive nurseries are so you oppose new ones opening?

You're obviously very angry but it's not clear why or how stopping a nursery opening would help.

I loathe nimbyism. I don't live anywhere near there, I don't have a share in the current nursery business, I just think the risks of allowing that more expensive nursery, more staff working there and much larger, will probably see the end of the existing one. That would seem a shame wouldn't it?

If we were to follow the logic of some angry posters on this forum no new businesses would be allowed to open lest they impact the profit margins of the established businesses in the area or worse still traffic / parking / whatever...

If the council is not growing its tax base through welcoming new businesses and attracting new residents by making it a nicer borough to live in with more amenities (such as childcare) I guess those opposed to new developments are happy with the alternative outcome which is higher council tax and lower quality of services?

Metallic Wrote:

> I loathe nimbyism. I don't live anywhere near

> there, I don't have a share in the current nursery

> business, I just think the risks of allowing that

> more expensive nursery, more staff working there

> and much larger, will probably see the end of the

> existing one. That would seem a shame wouldn't

> it?

I don't think it will be the end of the neighbouring nursery. My wife and I have been shopping around for child minders/nurseries for our toddler and EDG nursery had a 6 month + waiting list. AND you've gotta pay a one-off fee to get on the waiting list. So you're paying just to sit and wait.

As far as we're concerned, our recent experience has shown that each nursery is generally already full and have waiting lists that can range up to 48 months +...so if a new nursery moves in, even though we can't afford it, we welcome it because those who can afford it may go and leave waiting lists at other nurseries, lessening our wait.

Metallic Wrote:

> I just think the risks of allowing that

> more expensive nursery, more staff working there

> and much larger, will probably see the end of the

> existing one. That would seem a shame wouldn't

> it?

No. The existing nursery is wildly oversubscribed, like every other one in the neighbourhood. It's owned by an investor with a fairly commercial view of the world (I had a tour pre-launch). It's not cheap. If a more expensive nursery opened next door, the cheaper one isn't going to lose anyone to it.

My daughter is at the existing nursery and no, it?s not cheap. Ownership set up has changed since it first opened, so it is a family owned business and I would say the ethos is quite different now from when it first opened. They are claiming not be oversubscribed due to COVID but I don?t know the detail on this. As a parent, the main concern I?d have is staff being poached as this impacts the children. Hard to say if they?d be affected commercially, I agree that in the past, a serious lack of nursery places has been an issue. The idea that the nursery would be car free is a not credible, given the number of parents who drive to the existing nursery. And a new nursery is likely to attract parents from far and wide, who can?t get places more local to them.

I didn't know the existing nursery had changed hands since it opened - fair enough.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I think some of the smaller nurseries further

> afield that mop up demand from parents who are

> still on waiting lists when they need to go back

> to work post leave would be more threatened by

> this new business.

Like where, specifically? When I was in the market not so long ago everywhere at any price between Peckham Rye and Gypsy Hill was oversubscribed.