Estate Agents and their percentages

Shaggy

I have bartered with solicitors and saved myself enough money to have supplied and fitted a hall and stair carpet.

Ask the price to get out of one house into another house, and then try another then another qouoting what the cheapest said instead of paying 750 I was in for 300 it took 4 hours and at that time I didn't clear that amount per hour.

That says it all really...you want a higher price...go to an estate agent and then call them greedy.

It may sound like a lot of money but there is also a lot of work/man hours that go into selling a property and it is all done on trust that the Owner won't suddenly change their mind, change agent, change the price..not allow viewings, decide not to sell or get the asking price and then take the house off the market. If you are lucky enough to sell your house quite quickly to maybe the first or second viewer, don't forget that the agent has probably matched the potential buyer to your property.

That matching thing must be really difficult - * buyer enters SE22 estate agent "hello I'm looking for a 3 bedroom house in SE22" Estate Agent "Here's 5 on our books". I think the staff in Sainsbury's shoould start charging you commission for pointing out where the chickpeas are to be honest....

I went to make a cup of tea but my colleague insisted that I try all the old herbal and other infusions that have been lying around unused for ages, before I got to see any of the good stuff.

I said I wanted milk and two sugars but he suggested I think about only having one sugar for now, and maybe looking at adding another sugar later.

The whole basis by which estate agents charge is flawed (see Freakonomics). Estate agents want a quick sale, so it's not in their interest to go for a high price. Knocking the price down by ?10k only costs them ?150, and could save them weeks with the property on their books.

You should attempt to negotiate a sliding scale that rewards your agent for getting a good price. Smaller agents are more likely to accept such an arrangement than an inflexible large agent with big fluorescent offices (say).

For example suppose the agents value your flat at ?250,000. You should offer them a base rate of 1% of the sale price, but 10% of anything they achieve above ?240,000. So if they sell for ?240k they earn ?2.4k, but if they sell for ?260k they earn ?4.6k (close to 2% of the asking price).

We sold my parents' house using an arrangement like this. It works!

Put it this way, the house achieved about ?15k more than the asking price that the agents originally suggested (and we got their valuation before suggesting the arrangement). However, bear in mind this was in 2006 when things were rather more bullish than they are at the moment.

Just be wary... if you negotiate a lower than usual commission, check the final statement you receive before you pay it. We negotiated with Haart when we sold our house almost 2 years ago, and then noticed they had charged their standard percentage on the bill. We queried it (with contract it hand) and it was amended... but it made me wonder whether they chance their arm with these things!

Hi All

My friend is selling her 3 bed house in Nunhead and went to Pickwick Estates, (just by Dulwich library) she cant stop raving on about them and as they are an independant estate agent they were able to offer her a fantastic deal. I wont say how much as you really need to speak to them for yourself all I will say is that they beat the %`s being quoted above and look at each property on its own merits. Also I did go with her to some of the agents and felt they were all the same however just on entering Pickwick the whole approach was different.....

Negotiate thats her secret, if you dont ask you certainly wont get.