asbestos removal stuart road

lameduck

I received a call from someone wishing to remain anonymous about this.

I contact officers immediately who emailed me back:

"Dear Councillor Barber,

There have been a number of enquiries about the above over the past week. Some of which have been anonymous."

"...team Leader of the Health and Safety team and a known expert in asbestos has visited the site..."

as have other Team Leaders in the Council's noise and nuisance team.

"...reported that there were asbestos cement roofing sheets that had been removed to a secure part of the site. The sheets were intact and presented no risk to public health. They spoke to the site operatives who advised him of the company that was employed to remove and dispose of the asbestos. Sailesh checked the information provided and can confirm that the company concerned are a reputable company licensed to remove and dispose of asbestos.

The enforcing authority for construction sites is the Health and Safety Executive" The HSE have been notigied of this site and the complaints received.

"...have dealt with a complaint about a bonfire on site. They visited the complainants property and were unable to witness a smoke nuisance. They advised the complainant to contact them again should the problem recur. The officers spoke to the site operatives and gave advice on what could and could not be burned on site. Essentially it is limited to diseased timber.

"Once the officers arrived on site, there was no activity. They walked around the site, could find no evidence of asbestos, but did come across some clear fibre glass sheets that may have been the concern of the anonymous compliant. The officers determined that these were not a risk to public health. However any operative working with this material needs to wear protective equipment. The one operative on site was advised of this.

I hope the above answers your enquiry, however if you wish for further information or details please do not hesitate too contact me.

Yours sincerely

Environmental Health & Trading Standards Manager

"

A resident contacted me on Friday morning about this, I immediately contacted Council Officers about it and they promptly went out to the site. They responded to me on Friday morning that evidence that sheets of fibreglass had been cut but no evidence of asbestos cutting was at the site. Please email me with any further issues with this site.

Thanks

Renata