Danger in the woods! Dog bite

0017bond

When you go in the gate at the top of Coxes walk before crossing the bridge the woods to the right are Dulwich and the woods to your left are Sydenham - although it does get more complicated than that. If you follow the nature trail then you are in Sydenham woods. The London Wildlife Trust have volunteers there on Wednesdays and every other Sundays and they can give you more detailed information.

• 2 weeks later...

David the story written was 100% true.

What is now more amazing is the police now sent me a victim support letter claiming they don't have sufficient proof?

(chose not to take the ripped trousers and match the DNA to the dog in question). They also stated they hadn't found the ladies responsible, yet I was standing there when they stopped them and took their details. Not to mention they were looking at CCTV of the woods! Really

Quite obvious it was a standard letter addressed to any crime that really said "Were too busy, We don't really care, can't be bothered or there is no money in the case.

Whilst I tend to find the funny side of things and look at the best I have to admit the response from the Police and the ladies in question is a disgusting reminder of humanity. Bet if the above script was written differently for example "Two black males in hoodies whose Pitbull dog attacked an old woman in the woods" it would have been treated more seriously. Whilst I don't agree on pushing stereotypes the responces involved do bare similarities to not so positive stereotypical opinions. I have to admit in retrospect maybe phoning the police was not the best option in terms of fairness. Maybe a broken branch and dog being half flogged to death would have sufficed. Yet the responce of the police coming round the corner and finding me doing so would have been sypathetic to the alleged victims.

Now with these results how would you then question a guy walking in the woods with a form of weapon to protect himself? Or would you rather he take no weapon and offer himself freely to the mouth of the next dog on the gage of making others feel safe?

Shivalry is such a romantic notion. The doing the right thing and all that does sound good but in reality it does seem to differ somewhat? I have to admit I now think fxxx it, just respond! Everyone for themselves!

Bond you should send this feedback to the police who sent you the letter, they are the ones that need to hear it, and it would be useful in the future to evidence that you'd told them this.

Especially if anything subsequent occurs in the woods...

Because if I were you I'd feel that there's no point relying on the police if you're attacked again - tried that and tried doing the right thing, to no avail.

I agree if you'd been the one with dog biting old lady it'd be handled differently !

0017bond I totally believe your story. As said before we've been regulars in the woods for years (was there today actually) and if the women had at least apologised it would have hopefully been a better outcome for everybody.

This time of year the woods are obviously muddy, especially on the main walkways where it covers your feet in places. Walking in other remote parts is a lot easier (but some parts, like the moat, are now fenced off) so it's not so interesting, as it was years ago.

Anyway, you can never tell if the little dog running towards you is going to be ok, let alone the big one!

Another person to be aware of in the woods is the jogger! They appear from nowhere and then expect you to move out of the way with no word of a thanks.

to be clear, does the original poster think it is ok for him to carry a weapon to protect himself in the woods, on peckham rye or anywhere else he feels under threat?

and does minder really believe that joggers are a major threat to his/her safety?

perhaps both questioners should have a bit of a lie down for a few hours.

I'm not sticking up for the lady, but sometimes those woods are quite desolate and quiet, the dog may have seen the guy come from nowhere and ran in to protect his owner, not saying its right before I get jumped on, but I know my dog is wary if anyone appears from nowhere, she wouldn't bark but would be aloof. I also wonder wether in this day of "Dangerous dogs" etc this lady was scared that if she admitted the dog bite then the guy might have said he wanted the dog put to sleep, don't know but could be a factor?

To be clear? Obviously written English isn't clear enough for you to understand.

I would suggest reading the thread again but that wouldn't help if you were shall we say less intelligently endowed than the average.

"to be clear, does the original poster think it is ok for him to carry a weapon to protect himself in the woods, on peckham rye or anywhere else he feels under threat?"

Well davidh do you think the original poster thinks that's ok or do you think maybe he was venting a bit and wanted to put it up for discussion? Maybe you think for your personal safety and others he should not take sufficient precaution for his own safety as those in charge of upholding the law seem otherwise concerned?

"perhaps both questioners should have a bit of a lie down" What an interesting comment davidh, I can sense that must have drained the remainder of your faculties, but good on you. Lets keep to the initial thread which you obviously read ay?

Thanks to those who have interesting points.

Bonniebird. I totally agree, yet I wonder who takes responsibility for the dogs actions and if that person chooses by their own right/wrong not to take responsibility for their animal how is the matter then settled fairly?

Is fear a good reason to break the law? If she feared being in the woods (which I doubt) does that allow her to take no responsibility for her animals dangerous behaviour?

I agree with you that she probably feared her dog being put down but to try and stroll off the way she did was inciting more trouble.