Southwark to auction off Belham Primary's Caretaker's House

alex_b

Thanks Kate, I?m glad so many of the community rallied round on short notice to force the council to back down. Now comes the hard work of maintaining the pressure on Southwark and permanently stopping a residential development in a school playground.

Southwark often auctions off property - this is a good way to dispose of property. It's not a secret - it is listed on a property auction site, and there are notices on the building. The building that is the subject of this thread will be sold on a new 125 year lease so it isn't being sold off, it's being retained by the council. Whether the building becomes residential or stays as a commercial property, any building work would have to be done alongside the school. I don't see the issue of safeguarding as being a problem. Is the OP suggesting that the new owners of the building may buy the building specifically to be able to be within the school grounds for criminal intent or other wrongdoing? I'd expect the new owners to create an entrance onto the road.

What is the purpose of stopping the sale? This seems like a normal disposal by Southwark.

C

This is nothing new (Southwark selling off council properties).

7/8/9 years ago I noticed auction boards going up outside some empty council properties in my area. They had been empty for months after the tenants had passed away. The auction signs said something like 'property for sale, by order of Southwark Council'. The auction house was Allsops.

When I went on the Allsops website I couldn't believe the amount of properties that were being sold off 'by order of Southwark Council'. Denmark Hill Estate, Peckham, Dulwich.

char1i3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Southwark often auctions off property - this is a

> good way to dispose of property. It's not a secret

> - it is listed on a property auction site, and

> there are notices on the building. The building

> that is the subject of this thread will be sold on

> a new 125 year lease so it isn't being sold off,

> it's being retained by the council. Whether the

> building becomes residential or stays as a

> commercial property, any building work would have

> to be done alongside the school. I don't see the

> issue of safeguarding as being a problem. Is the

> OP suggesting that the new owners of the building

> may buy the building specifically to be able to be

> within the school grounds for criminal intent or

> other wrongdoing? I'd expect the new owners to

> create an entrance onto the road.

>

> What is the purpose of stopping the sale? This

> seems like a normal disposal by Southwark.

>

>

> C

A normal disposal by Southwark?

Bony Fido Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The blame for this type of Council action rests

> solely with this embuggerance of a tory so-called

> government which has systematically starved local

> governments of funds for many years now -

> certainly since 2010 - all part of the plan...

All part of the plan? For what?

The Council have said they'll consult in January, but are still intent on selling off the building.

Selling off the house to private developers is a safeguarding risk to our children, will be disruptive to the life of the school and removes a building from public ownership that could be better used for educational and community purposes. For example there is a lack of space for provision for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in Southwark schools, the school currently lacks sufficient space for music and arts, and local community groups need space to meet.

A group of parents have started a petition at https://www.change.org/p/southwark-council-save-the-belham-school-house. Please sign to tell Southwark there are better uses for a house that has been part of the school site since the 19th century than selling it to developers.

Hello Alex-b

Might i suggest you take a paper petition around the area and door step neighbours?

Having actual signatories will shift the local politicians massively.

Header with the petition request. Then three or four columns with "name" "address" and a tick box on whether they support the 'header' on a clip board.

Trust me - if you present that at Southwarks door you'll stand a better chance.

Kind Regards

K.

• 2 weeks later...

Two properties that have been empty for 18 months in my area.

Two three bed council properties that have been left to stagnate by Southwark Council.

It will be interesting to see how they go forward with these properties in view of these challenging times.

Dare I say that they will be auctioned off?