Fined ?75 for dropping a cigar butt - fair?

seanmlow

I'm all for fining I'm afraid, bit of a fan of the 'zero tolerance' approach - great debate though.. At the risk of causing an explosion money from offenders could go towards lowerring the tax burden of the law abiding self - seanmlow that's not aimed at you specifically, but general zero tolerance fines for breaking the law. Most do it, some of us get caught..

I think littering is a foul filthy habit, but appreciate that a cigar butt is not the sort of thing one can put in ones pocket to take home to dispose of at a later date. I think ?75 is a bit steep, however as a deterrant.....

Can these Community Officer people approach dog owners who do not clear their doggies do's after them - I'd be happy to see them fined.

I'd also like it if they fined the people who throw all their rubbish into my front garden - perhaps I could have a percentage of the fine to make up for having to clear it up on a regular basis.

Sean - you don't have to pay any attention to my suggestion. After all there are no rules to say you must. There are however rules against dropping litter....

Gerry - I didn't say I was perfect. But I will ask people who know me and see what they think. Perhaps I have become so without noticing.

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A point of observation... the little ashtray on the top of some bins... it's not exactly a seperate bit to the bin. Yes there's the rim bit to stubb out ur smoke and then it all rolls down into the bin itself.

Indeed, I've often wondered whether this may be one of the best design flaws ever!

Whatever the pros and cons are, hundreds of people are now more aware of the problem. Next mission - to rid the public transport system of discarded Metros and other such 'news'papers and other delights such as chicken bones and cherry stones.

And if you think your area needs an extra bin, ring 7525 2000 and ask for one. They sometimes oblige, and if they don't, you can request a street clean either as a one off, or let Southwark know that that particular area is a grot-spot. Nero

There's a bin outside ED station to take the freebie newspapers - by 6.00ish it is full and rather than take their papers home I see people just drop them on the ground by the bin. Maybe these community officers could come here and fine people for doing that - I reckon they'd make loads of money!

Cassius, I am not one bit surprised. That's just one of the reasons why my latent misanthropy grows ever bigger. It's not a facility I use much, especially at normal commuting times. If it offends any one on here, you know the number to call.....! (7525 2000). You might get an extra bin. Nero

They should send the wardens round to people's houses and fine them for downloading tracks on Limewire, putting occasional non-business receipts through the books, copying other people's CDs, burning logs or coal on an open fire, using their horn before 9am, putting windowed envelopes into their recycling box, saying their children are ill in order to get them out of school for something they consider important, holding occasional parties where the music is a little loud etc etc

So come on, people - 'fess up! Everybody's done something. Pop your name at the top of a thread and state your crime so we can all line-up to have a massively overblown go at you.

I'm afraid so, jumpinjack.

After all - the law and the potential penalty is clear enough (Xthousand pound fine and / or a prison sentence). So if you are the one who gets made an example of don't come on here looking for sympathy, matey. We're a tough bunch.

gerry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Trinity, you didn't have to say it.....you wrote

> it.

Trinity was expressing her opinion.

You were interpreting it.

Some might suggest that you were being quite judgemental - calling someone saintly on the basis of what they wrote.

They would make that conclusion based not on what you said, but on what you wrote.

Quite ironic, huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but aren't you a counsellor? A counsellor who has offered her services on these boards?

I'm not saying anything here... I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Oh don't get me started on the subject of downloads and such... us artists need to earn a living ya know! (6)

I still don't see how you can compare dropped butts wiv newspapers... only that they're both litter. :-S newspapers are much more dangerous when left to blow around the place, get wet and slippy and the likes