William Rose Butchers queue is getting ridiculously long again

JRK

yeah, that's Liberetto, sorry to criticise but never has any meats for sale in the window and no clear pricing. Always wondered how it survived or if it was run as a hobby.

Libretto. (J & K Libretto & daughters). And meat isn't in the window, to dry out and catch flies - it's cut to order - although there is some meat prepared in the chilled cabinet inside. In the 32 years I've shopped there the prices have always been fair, the quality (and range) exceptional. Kim (the very experienced butcher and owner) makes amazing sausages and sources excellent quality (and value) meat. He buys directly from Smithfield and has built up excellent dealers. His eggs are delivered weekly, from the farm, he has good game (but shooting is only restarting this weekend following lock-down) and he is a main South London stockist of Tiptree (Wilkinson) Jams. He is certainly somewhat eccentric - his shop is almost an antiques haven - but for excellent quality and good value he cannot be beaten. He is a hobbyist on lots of things (classic cars, for instance) but on butchery he is a top professional.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find WR meat does not taste any better than

> supermarket meat but Liberetto?s produce tastes

> like something I remember eating fifty years ago.

>

> I couldn't agree more.

the same as jones the butcher it's great meat and most of the meat is for top restaurants so it's got to be good

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I find WR meat does not taste any better than

> supermarket meat but Liberetto?s produce tastes

> like something I remember eating fifty years ago.

>

> I couldn't agree more.

Agree-I'm not a fan of WR prefer the Butchery or Liberettos if I can catch them when they're open.

Flock & Herd

You can order by phone, or get there early

The Butchery is good too.

But lots of places mail order now. Turner & George near The Angel do good mail order, as do Fosse Meadows (poultry) and Philip Warren in Cornwall. The all use these wool packs with ice packs to keep it fresh. I use them often enough to know it?s a good way to shop if you?re challenged for time and access.

I wonder if they could try a ticket system, whereby you collect a ticket then return when your number is up (which would allow for more shopping elsewhere and less time wasted). Perhaps someone could suggest it next time they are in there - or Moxons... or any of the other rammed shops on Lordship Lane come to that! :)

Stopped shopping at WR years ago after the second time of them being rude to me.

First time one November I asked if I could order a goose for Xmas - was prompted told "no cause you're not a regular. next customer please."

I sort of stomached that, till the next time.

In shopping with my mum - a lady in her 70s who has bought and cooked her fair share of meat in her day - can't remember exactly what she asked for, but was promptly told that what she asked for didn't exist and she didn't know what she was talking about. How f'n dare they!

So for me it's flock and herd every time. They treat customers with respect, meat tastes different than supermarket and also act like gentlemen when I take my mum in.

Yes, this is a middle aged harrumph. But this seems like a good place to share these views.

KidKruger.

It was years ago and I'm paraphrasing, but definitely along the lines of "there's no such thing" "Don't know what you're talking about". Definitely no discussion of "do you mean this or that". Blunt enough that my mum's head went down and she turned and walked out of the shop. It was very much a put down. I was mortified.

AlanMBarr Wrote:

> KidKruger.

>

> It was years ago and I'm paraphrasing, but

> definitely along the lines of "there's no such

> thing" "Don't know what you're talking about".

> Definitely no discussion of "do you mean this or

> that". Blunt enough that my mum's head went down

> and she turned and walked out of the shop. It was

> very much a put down. I was mortified.

To be honest was reading an article on American cuts of meat and I thought the same - I shouted where's Rump and what are all these silly names. But it's all genuine and professionals should know the various names of all cuts.

My mother wouldn't have taken it I know - I remember her in MacFisheries causing trouble.

AllisonAdler Wrote:

> I've been going to William Rose for the past seven

> years, and think they are lovely, friendly, and

> that their meats and game are better than any of

> the other butchers in the area by quite a stretch.

> Hope everyone there is alright.

couldn't agree more, best butcher in the area imho, friendly, knowledgeable and keenly priced. so sorry they have had to close temporarily, and do hope they are all ok, look forward to their reopening soon

I see William Rose is shut until Tuesday 22 December 'due to staff shortages' I wonder if this is due to Covid. I am not happy that they allow 3 people into the shop at a time in such a small squeezed space. Also I rarely see the shop assistants themselves wearing masks. I thought all shop assistants now had to wear masks?