Disruptive building work during the pandemic

"scientists indicate that life probably wont return to normal until April-June 2021, so surely residential building work should be paused until people can return to the office"

Really? And what happens to all the builders, plumbers, carpenters, plasterers, electricians, roofers and bricklayers during this pause? Would you like to see them queuing up at the foodbank, or do you think those working in safer environments than many key workers (ie outside vs schools and shops) should be furloughed for 6 months so that they do not inconvenience your zoom calls?

Am I the only person to find this post unreasonably selfish? When the work starts you will probably find that the noisy phases are for a relatively short period of time and mostly it is reasonably calm.

While I sympathise (I have lived through it multiple times over the last couple of years, next door and next door but one even simultaneously(!)) it is something that can happen at any time and will cause disruption regardless. Who knows how long many people will have to wfh but other things need to continue.

Granted it's more disruptive to you now that you are working from home but some people have either always worked from home or been home off work or with a new baby etc. I had 2 sets of building work, one with each baby (when they were having 2 naps a day) but didn't get the builders to stop at set times or anything - the kids slept through it. Yes it's annoying but what can you do? Once it's done then it's done. I think the noise cancelling headphones might be a good call as suggested above. Also Sue's suggestion re the radio and getting that in the party wall agreement, wish I'd thought of that when we had loud music from nearby builders!

You absolutely must have a party wall surveyor to look at your flat before and after this work is done (assuming you have a party wall with the other flat).

Your neighbour has to pay, and you should not agree to use the same one as your neighbour (I speak from bitter experience).

I wonder if the council did in fact send a letter, because to the best of my knowledge I never got one either.

Actually, your neighbour should be the one pushing for a statement of condition, without a statement of condition there is no proof that a defect wasn't present before the works started and you can press for compensation or repairs.

I know this because my neighbour tried to stiff me for replastering some rooms and redecorating her house because of so called small movement cracks caused by some minor party wall works. The statement of condition had detailed photos on a DVD which proved they were present well before any party wall works started and I told them where to go stick it.

You also have a choice of party wall surveyor and do not have to accept the use of their party wall surveyor, you can have a chat to your neighbour and use this as leverage since some of them are quite expensive...

sue, doing party wall works without an agreement in place

my bad, not sure if it's actually illegal and the only way to stop the works without agreement is a potentially expensive injunction:

https://www.peterbarry.co.uk/blog/what-to-do-when-your-neighbour-ignores-the-party-wall-act/

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> redpost Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's actually illegal and you can get an urgent

> > injunction to stop works.

>

>

> What is illegal?