Mobile signal, Nunhead and East Dulwich

Following on from a number of posts on Nunhead Rocks, about lack of O2 service in the Nunhead area, I've just been on the phone to them. A mast is down, close to Brockley Station on the B218. Apparently, you don't get signal from a mast near you, but the signal forms a ring further away from the mast, so the Linden Grove mast serves other areas. They are fully aware that this is affecting huge numbers of residents in the area. It has been down since February 2019 and they haven't got a date set to fix it! This is crazy! I'm contacting Southwark's Officers to see if they can put pressure on O2. It is a shared mast and Vodaphone and possibly other networks are affected by this. Can you please tell me which streets have issues and which network so I can try and establish how far reaching this issue is. So far It appears to be the whole of Nunhead from Queen's Rd down to Camberwell New Cemetery and parts of Telegraph Hill. I was wondering if East Dulwich is affected too, (or whether ED is served by a different mast).

Thanks

Renata

Same on Melford/Underhill/Wood Vale - it's been like that for several months at least. Luckily O2 also does calling over wifi so I haven't really noticed how bad it is when I'm at home as my mobile works normally so long as it's connnected to my home network.

I have a friend just off Rye Lane in Peckham (SE15 3SL) who is on O2 and has appalling\no reception. I am on Vodafone and have the same issue when visiting him, indeed I was stuggling to pay for my parking ticket; couldn't get any data and even the phone number wouldn't work!

Terrible signal Bellenden Road way. They?ve spouted several reasons to me about phone masts over last two years but nothing has changed. I can?t make any phone calls from my house- I use whatsapp as the WiFi calling still needs a modicum of signal to work which I don?t have.

• 1 month later...
O2 are constantly saying a mast is 'down'. I haven't had a good signal, 2bars or more, for many months anywhere in the Bellenden to Adys Road area. My elderly mum also lives in this area & I care for her daily. I'm always missing important calls from District Nurses etc. If I knew of a more reliable carrier I'd change tomorrow as O2 don't seem to think it's a problem.

theron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having been repeatedly told that the 'mast was

> going to be fixed' by GiffGaff/02 for months, I

> finally made the switch to EE and I am so much

> happier. Can finally make phone calls from the

> comfort of my own home! (Telegraph Hill)

Thanks Theron I've now changed to EE and have a signal!

dresswaves Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> theron Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Having been repeatedly told that the 'mast was

> > going to be fixed' by GiffGaff/02 for months, I

> > finally made the switch to EE and I am so much

> > happier. Can finally make phone calls from the

> > comfort of my own home! (Telegraph Hill)

>

> Thanks Theron I've now changed to EE and have a

> signal!

It's great isn't it! :D

• 5 months later...

Hi. We are on Adys and have the same issues. O2 and Vodafone. Terrible.

Can anyone else confirm that EE is unaffected? Ie. I should switch.

This whole situation is crazy - I was on Vodafone but switched to O2 due to signal problems. Then when I had the same problems on O2, just assumed the problem was something in the house?? This now makes a lot more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Adys road. Just switched to EE and hallelujah! Signal and 4G/5G! The SIM only deal is a more expensive but straight away it's worth it.

*Sky mobile (who use O2 network) confirmed the mast was taken down. O2 told them it was due to be replaced by end of August 2021. Seemed too convenient to be true so I switched.

Looking at the masts for Nunhead on the coverage checker map, it seems that whole area is/was served by one mast, while my end of LL has masts at Dulwich Library, the Underhill Road junction with LL and one on Dulwich Common, so it's no surprise that O2 is so poor.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I am in the SE15 and last year received several text messages that O2 would be working on the signal and fixing a telephone mast, however this has not happened. This year the signal is pretty much no existent and O2 appear to be dragging their feet over repairing the phone masts. Alas I still have 15 months to go on my contact. Would I be within my rights to cancel my contact because I am not getting the service I have paid for and O2 don't seem committed to repairing the phone masts.

It's a very strange situation and seems that all networks suffer from some significant not-spots in SE22/SE15. I've been on Vodafone 4G for about 10 years and always suffered a complete data drop-out when heading on the 63 through Peckham (probably from about around Commercial Way through to Peckham Rye Station). The signal was always useable at home (near Peckham Rye Park).

I then moved to near Peckham Rye Station around 2 years ago. I called Vodafone as I had no signal and was told that there was a mast down. I registered for their text alerts and routinely get messages saying they are working on the mast and that the problem has been fixed. But I rarely get a usable mobile signal indoors. I miss calls all the time as they go straight to voicemail without the phone ringing.

I also had to drive out of London recently and used my phone to stream BBC Sounds in the car. There was absolutely no streamable signal until I passed Brockley and then it was full signal with no buffering all the way out through New Cross, Blackheath, etc.

I find it difficult to understand why the mobile phone operators let SE15/SE22 have such a hole in the service. Is there nowhere to put up a new mast? Or are the local council too anti-masts? Or is there something else around here that stops the signal from travelling? I don't experience this problem so consistently in any other built-up areas in London (and I get around a lot).

It's a very strange situation and seems that all networks suffer from some significant not-spots in SE22/SE15

It's partly, at least, a function of the topography (very hilly) locally. Masts work on line-of-sight (with some leakage) so if you are in the shadow of a hill (between you and a mast) you may well lose signal/ signal strength. We need more masts than a flat area to offer the same coverage.

Junction Heaton Rd/Consort Rd SE15. No/very poor reception on Giffgaff (O2) for years. Changed to Lebara (Vodaphone) and perfect. Last month got new Giffgaff sim to see if issue solved. Nope. Getting no signal message/one bar but cannot make a call. This reminds me to get my credit back from Giffgaff.