temporary light on Bellingdon road - why?

trinidad

There's been a temporary bus stop near the Soames Street junction for a couple of weeks. A 40 double decker stopped on the junction for 5 mins or so late one night, just before the bus stop appeared, but I haven't seen any more buses since then. Maybe the bus stop has just been moved in high spirits and the double decker was a coincidence, but I'd love to know what's going on (as would my 4-year-old, who keeps asking why it's there).

Like more permanent traffic lights which are designed to be forever faulty, temporary lights are designed to slow car traffic in particular and encourage more of us to use public transport - especially with a new viral pandemic in play. They also tell us to use bicycles more since most bicycle lanes are thoroughly unused. This also works well for motorised two wheelers and their harmless users who are now evil if they use bus lanes. All traffic lights will always be better than roundabouts, and they will always have to be paid for again and again ad infinitum, because their procurement is based on little more than extreme obsolescence. They also act as great PR when roads need to be repeatedly dug and then resurfaced year on year, instead of doing it once properly every other decade.