S G Smith premises > Megan's

Effra

Notice in window advises that Chelsea fine Foods Ltd has applied for a licence. for the premises to be trading as Megan's Deli.

https://megans.co.uk/locations/

Got to admire post-Covid enthusiasm and hopefully it encourages others to invest in vacant premises.

https://libertythroughwealth.com/2020/03/26/way-to-wealth-invest-when-blood-streets/#:~:text=Invest%20When%20There%20Is%20Blood%20in%20the%20Streets.,to%20wealth.%20Say%20you%E2%80%99ve%20decided%20to%20become%20rich.

Dulwich audi premises ? Seems in line with the UKs general economic strategy. Selling coffee to each other and endless mortgage lending fuelled house price rises.

Probably not good news for the 3 or 4 similar places in and around Dulwich village. 2 coffee places on the same block iirc ?

This is so ridiculous. My post disappeared by the way saying it would be perfect for yummy mummies and their buggies, to sit outside.

However, when some on other social media are saying locals should support local businesses, how on earth can seven places selling coffee survive? This morning I counted 27 people in the queue for Gail's and two in Romeo Jones.

Do the math.

• 10 months later...
Romeo Jones does the best coffee in the village IMO, really don't understand the queuing for 25 mins to get one from Gail's. I've just looked at the menu for Megan's, it actually looks ok if a little pricey (although a 250ml glass of wine for a fiver in happy hour isn't bad), depends on the food quality for me. I was quite excited when the Greek place opened but went twice and never again...

Will take business from Gail's, and that other cafe on dulwich Square? Never tried Romeo Jones or even knew of it till read this thread :)

It'll be an attritional battle of survival. Unless Megan's brings people in from elsewhere?

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Romeo Jones does the best coffee in the village

> IMO, really don't understand the queuing for 25

> mins to get one from Gail's. I've just looked at

> the menu for Megan's, it actually looks ok if a

> little pricey (although a 250ml glass of wine for

> a fiver in happy hour isn't bad), depends on the

> food quality for me. I was quite excited when the

> Greek place opened but went twice and never

> again...

Agree! Love romeo Jones. They do great sandwiches and soups too

I do worry that there are now too many outlets selling the same/similar thing. I do know that if the sun isn't shining and the weather lovely then there isn't enough trade to go around between the existing ones yet alone with a new one adding yet more competition. Maybe this is part of the Southwark Labour grand plan - they want to, ahem, gentrify Dulwich Village and fill it full of coffee shops and estate agents!

In what way is Gails dreadful?, rarely go there myself as it usually is too crowded, but there are enough other options, also there is now a convenience store and a new terrific cheese and goodie shop, as well as the book shop,a butchers, a good gift shop and the stationary/toy stationary shop. It seems to me that the Estate is managing things well.