Leaves on pavement

bagpuss

I know It?s probably not a huge thing too many.

But leaves on the pavements in lordship lane and surrounding streets seems to be an issue.

I?m visually impaired

With shop lights off (I know this is not their fault) there is very dim lighting on the streets

The leaves are normally swept up

I just worry for myself slipping or someone else who also may struggle in the dark

I?m not trying to be a pain or annoying

But genuinely it is tricky walking on pavements

Just raising it to see if something can be done

I?ve emailed the council but no response

Take care all

It's an issue I raised on the local councillor's thread and he said this

Leaves, litter etc

Sadly, cuts to the council finances has meant there has been an overall reduction in street cleaning. However, there is some flexibility to redirect the existing resources if there are places which we think are in particular need of more attention. Please let me know.

With regard to leaf picking up by residents perhaps you might be interested in the following, it took 6 months for the figures to be released.

Perhaps they should should consider how they waste money.

Dear Mr Tudor,

Please excuse the delay in replying to you regarding the brown bin subscription scheme. I can provide the following answer to your questions

1. How many people took up the offer to pay in the first year- 11902

2. How many people had their brown bins collected as they no longer wanted them - number of brown bins removed was 13,727 bins

3. Please see the table below which sets out the areas of one off expenditure and final costs for the initial roll-out of the service in 2019/20.

Description

Cost

Communications

?37,418

Container removal

?40,812

Container Purchase

?89,599

Container delivery

?57,190

Container repair

?10,190

Consultancy

?10,052

IT configuration

?9,524

Total

?254,785

The initial roll-out costs include a number of one-off expenditure items that are unique to the set up of the new service. Therefore, total expenditure is relatively high in the first year compared to the anticipated level of expenditure in following years.

The estimated level of expenditure to maintain the service from year two onwards is actually ?50k.

I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes,

Now that is a true waste of money, especially when there is a very good chance that national government mandates garden waste disposal by local councils as part of the council tax in any case.

A good strategy would have been to leave one free brown bin for every 5 or so properties, our street has small gardens and everyone fills one a few times a year only. I would be happy to sweep up some leaves as well.