flu jab - Tessa Jowell practice - safe?

trinidad

I received a text message from the Tessa Jowell Doctors practice, uring me to contact them after 5 pm to arrange a flu jab appointment. Not needed to visit them since they moved into the new surgery, but wondering, is it safe to even attend the surgery, with covid? have they got any preventative measures in place?

If you have Covid you should self isolate, contact NHS 101 etc, 999 if an emergency and not go to the clinic unless instructed.

If you don't believe you have Covid but are worried about going to a clinic, I an others can reassure you that this is as safe as they can make it. I'e attended TJ Centre, Kings and Tootling donor centre in recent months. All very good, Couldn't get an appointment at FH Road but that is a separate story...

Thank you for your response, I don't have any covid symptoms, but as mentioned above, I have been asked to attend the flu clinic.

You mention the surgery is safe, so as you have used the surgery, it would be good to know what exactly is in place there?

The incidence of Covid-19 in Southwark is quite low - the Zoe app suggests well less than 2000 active cases - if we assume those are self-isolating then probably only about 800 or fewer asymptomatic cases from whom infection is more likely. Those who exhibit symptoms or suspect them are specifically being excluded from visits to surgeries. As long as all those in surgeries are wearing masks, and social distancing, it is very safe. The most likely way of contracting Covid indoors (if you are not a clinician caring for Covid patients) is to have a prolonged (way more than 10 minute) conversation with an infected person - such conversations tend not to happen in distanced waiting rooms!

ok, so I visited the health centre for the first time, and I have mixed feelings with my first visit.

I went into the main entrance, and notice a security man on the right behind a screen. He advised me the GP p0ractice was upstairs. The signage was not that clear, and I accidentally went into some bay with nurses (again no signage) I was redirected, and notice a small sign mounted on the arm of the stairs facing the wrong way. I went up the stairs, to be presented with a huge covid19 sign. I also saw some chairs, again unsure of what to do. I saw on my right two staff behind a screen, one was on the phone so I stood in front of the second person. I was ignored and after a few minutes I asked the member of staff if they could help me, the lady continued typing, showed no eye contact and said she will be with my in a moment. There was no one behind me. The lady finally acknowledged me, and I told her I was here for a GP appointment, I was told to use another reception staff in the corner. To be honest I was not impressed. I informed the next person I spoke to, that I was here for an appointment, and I was told to take a seat. I informed the staff member, I had a separate problem to talk to a GP about (I was seeing a nurse. I was advised I needed to make another appointment, I asked if I could do this with her, and she replied "no" I have to call in. While waiting I made a call to the health centre to book an appointment, the 30th of November was the earliest. , or I need to call back at 8 am on Monday.

The nurse was five minutes late and called my name. As I got up, the nurse started walking along the corridor (no introduction) he waited at the room, once he saw me, he entered the room. He asked me to sit on one of the chairs, i sat on the wrong one (he did not specify) there were two patient chairs. He told me after the jab to have a blood test, no explanation, I had to ask. The environment was modern but lacked the community spirit found in a GP practice. That was my first time there, I really hope I never need to return until the next flu jab. Are there any other good GP Practices in the area, that offer good service?

I had a totally opposite experience to the above going for a smear test. It's a beautiful facility, totally covid safe and the staff were all lovely and I had no problems navigating to the 1st floor waiting area. The details above sound like things I have experienced many times over in surgeries and hospitals, par for the course. And you should never say to the receptionist you have two things to discuss with the Dr, they always say you need multiple appts, but just do it. Don't ask for permission, the Dr isn't going to turn you away. I have Crohns and am a seasoned Dr/hospital gooer.

I was sent to the TJ centre by my GP Surgery Nurse for a Diabetes Check Up plus blood pressure. I was directed by the security guy at reception desk to the lift to first floor. Went over to GP reception and explained my visit and was passed onto another receptionist who logged me in. Within 10 minutes was seen by nurse - he was very helpful and I explained that I also had to have a blood test and he advised me where to go.

No problems - my husband had gone there a couple of weeks earlier and was full of praise.

Went there a compile of weeks ago for my Jab, pretty empty, with a lot of social distance measures in place, and everyone wearing masks, was guided upstairs to where the GP surgeries are by main reception....Only thing I would warn is if driving there ( I don't usually, but came straight from work) is that you must register your car reg number at the desk or you'll get fine .... I was rushing and didnt see signs informing me of this (also forgot my reading glasses)

.. I though the it was one of those carparks the were time sensitive like the supermarkets .... that teach me

> you must register your car reg

> number at the desk or you'll get fine

That'll be a deemed contractual penalty payment rather than a fine. But don't dream of paying, simply for being unaware of their system requirement. Just as with supermarket parking, I'd guess that confirmation from the surgery that you'd been attending would be sufficient to get any existing penalty claim cancelled (assuming you removed the car once you'd had the jab ;) ). I might have a look around myself sometime, to see what any notices in the car park do say.

I'd guess that confirmation from the surgery

If you are attending the relocated drop-in blood test clinic (phlebotomists) - run I think by King's - then the surgery will have no record of your attendance. And I doubt whether the phlebotomists hold a record anyway, they send on details with the bloods to King's.

> you must register your car reg

> number at the desk or you'll get fine

That'll be a deemed contractual penalty payment rather than a fine. But don't dream of paying, simply for being unaware of their system requirement. Just as with supermarket parking, I'd guess that confirmation from the surgery that you'd been attending would be sufficient to get any existing penalty claim cancelled (assuming you removed the car once you'd had the jab ;) ). I might have a look around myself sometime, to see what any notices in the car park do say.

Ah I see, I paid as I drive a lease car, and they inform you weeks after the fine has been issued to them, so only had a day until the discounted fine ended... one to remember in the future, yes I left straight after I had my jab.

elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=FB_CC

Because of nano/aerosol particles I wore 2 way filtration mask to deal with nano paricles when went to TJ let the vampores take blood. Felt safer than at Kings.