Fantasy Lordship Lane

Spent my childhood calling SMBS 'The smelly shop' and screaming everytime my mum dragged me in there to buy some dried apricots instead of smarties like the other kids :'( Love the shop now but Never will eat another dried apricot in my adult life!

Hate - HSBC they keep saying I owe them money::o

Good call Bagpuss, never thought of HSBC..

Okay,

HATE

HSBC (Although if they give me back my charges, I might grow to love them....)

Hate seems rather strong, and don't really Hate anything else.... Not overly keen on Liquorice, The Bishop, The Palmerston. the queues in the post office (though to be fair, that's the same everywhere). The Burger place (mainly because of the bad acoustics in there... Done my head in!

Don't mind The EDT, The Butchers, Iceland.

Rather like The Black Cherry (but gets a bit crowded for me).

Really like Inside 72 (but gets far far too busy for me!)

LOVE

Walking round the corner to The CPT!!!! :)-D

Not a fan of HSBC, especially the drain that leaks effluent onto the pavement by the cash machine / somerfields. It is however a fitting reminder of how, even if you were to go inside, they still pour sh*t on you from above.

Loves

the plough diy store - always helpful and if something doesn't fit, or, everytime i pick the wrong fittings, they're happy to refund / exchange.

Ground coffee from NCross road stall on a saturday

The CPT is two pubs in one, really. The new bit and the old bit. I like the old bit best.

Plough Homecraft, the DIY place up by the library, is excellent. Very well stocked, with knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Nope, that's the uplands, it's on the corner of underhill and crystal palace road.

It is nice they've been slowly but surely doing up the front bar for a few years now, pleasant enough 3 screens and so on.

The back is pure old school boozer, can get very smokey, but lovely spot. They've even managed to redo the rapidly disappearing upholstery.

---------outside-------------------------------------boozer---------------------------------------front--------------

manageress

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The CPT is two pubs in one, really. The new bit

> and the old bit. I like the old bit best.

>

> Plough Homecraft, the DIY place up by the library,

> is excellent. Very well stocked, with

> knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Only thing that irritates me about the Plough Homecraft place is how the staff all smoke inside, especially around flammable substances.

Actually, now that I think about it, the staff at the Costcutter opposite the library smoke inside too, which is even worse, as its all around foods.

CPT is the corner of Underhill Road / Crystal Palace Road.

You may be thinking of The Uplands Tavern, which looks modern from the outside, but is really soulless, and not very nice (in my opinion).

CPT is a proper pub, divided in to 2 bars, "lounge", and "public". The Public bar in the 70's was the spit and sawdust side, where the beer was a couple of pennies cheaper than on the Lounge side. The lounge was where the ladies and kids would be put on a Sunday afternoon!!!

These days, the lounge looks exactly the same (literally), but they have reupholstered the seats recently.

The "Public" Bar is the more "trendy" side.

To be fair, the pub has its faults, I wouldn't say otherwise. But, it's really friendly, the staff are all ace, and it's a cool place to watch footie / rugby.

I like it anyway :)-D

Oh yes, it's all becoming clear now, dare I say, CrystalClear.

I don't think I've actually done my fantasy LL yet.

EDT

inside72

Green & Blue

Chener Books

Roullier White

Black Cherry

East Dulwich Carpets (nice guys)

WOULD LIKES

Fopp or independent music retailer

Another decent local family restaurant

Games store

Chener Books to have a lick of paint

DISLIKES

bad paving

effluent HSBC leak

The Palmerston

not necessarily in that order

love:

Le Chardon

Franklins

Roulier White (sorry!)

Dr Boo (again, sorry!!)

The Charity shop

Chener Books

The Card Shop (they are lovely in there)

SMB (same again)

Jerk Rock (yummy - when it's open...)

hate:

The empty police station

The amusement arcade

Somerfield

The scary weaponry shop

Karavan

The dingy dry cleaners/key cutting place

frightened of:

The empty dingy shop near William Rose

and the old man in the stationery shop - totally agreed on that one Jo

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

I'm a dad with a pram, and having moved to ED pre-baby (so I've also experienced the other side of the fence), I think it's reasonable to expect that people tolerate children around ED in the daytime. Believe it or not (and if you're child-free you probably haven't even thought about it) there are not playgroups on every corner, especially for very young babies. And the ones that do exist I'm sure cost a lot more than the price of a cappuccino and pain au chocolat. I AM amazed though, at how even pubs and bars (Green & Blue deli, EDT on Tues & Sun) have become over-run with kids - but that, for better or worse is the nature of the area. There must still be some traditional pubs and cafes where you can escape if you want to avoid children.

Personally, I even make a point of vacating the premises at the first sign of crying, so at least I'm not guilty of any aural invasions. But if you don't like kids/buggies/parenting paraphernalia then (as I've said on another post) ED is probably not the ideal spot for you.

Move, deal with it, choose your spots carefully - basically get a life eff ess ess, and let other people get on with theirs - after all, you were a baby once too (and don't seem to have progresssed much beyond your initial selfishness).

I'm a mum with a pram who couldn't agree with you more Bald Marauder. Lived in ED for 7 years, a parent for 2 . I do not clutter Cafe Nero with my buggy as it would be the first thing to be cast out from my fantasy LL, but do frequent pretty much everywhere else. (Bread of Life at the top of Barry Rd is good. The coffee's not that great but my toddler can charge around with her marauding horde without pissing anyone off. How priorities change.)

Anyone after a childfree pub should head to the fore-mentioned CPT. Its my localist local and whilst I miss not being able to drink there as often as I did 3 years ago, I miss not being able to drink anywhere that often. On balance I'm glad even the patio is child free. I have a huge choice of places my children can shatter the peace and on the rare occasions I can shake them off and escape for a pint I'd really rather not have to deal with someone elses kids instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Like:

The Seacow

library (Dulwich)

Moxon's

Cheese Block - I recently bought some cheese at West End traditional place Paxton & Whitfield in St James's (supposedly the best, and by royal appointment), and the cheese at The Cheese Block is in my opinion kept in better condition than at Paxton

& Whitfield. Agreed, they can be a bit odd, but I've seen worse.

butcher

Green and Blue

SMB for some things e.g. Rock's organic giner cordial (the best! and hardly available anywhere), oyster mushrooms

Farmers - I always seem to overhear strange conversations in there

most of the drinkeries are fine - there's a good range and something for everyone

Surma - I've been going there since 1986!

The woman who sells real cheesecake in North Cross Road market (is she still there?)

hate:

the amusements, the betting places

crossing LL is a pain and often quite tricky.

Would like to see a real baker.

Also many years ago, didn't there use to be a proper greengrocer at the bottom of LL (sort of near where EDD is)? SMB is good for some things, but would like a full-scale greengrocer.

I didn't realise there *was* a picture framer in North Cross Road - must get up there asap.

Louisiana