Warning re bike locker theft

esme

Just to say that my new bike was stolen from INSIDE a bike locker near East Dulwich station in the last week or so. The lock was secure when I went to get it out, so who knows how it was broken into. The padlock was provided by the company who owns the lockers and they are adamant I left it unlocked (tho how would a thief then manage to lock it up without a key??).

They advised they did not change the lock or key between renters. They then contradicted that and said they had evicted previous renter and put a brand new lock on the locker. Makes no sense as how would the padlock be locked up again without a key even if I had left it open.

Anyway just a warning to be extra vigilant, I know bike theft is an easy / quick win for those struggling right now, but upsetting as it was brand new and I have a bad back so was hoping to do more cycling.

Could have been worse, stay safe everyone!

Sorry for your news. A reminder for all to get their bikes security marked - police do regular sessions by Franklns every month. Not sure whether the next one will go ahead due to lockdown https://www.bikeregister.com/events?postcode=se233dq Do check ebay and particularly Gum Tree as it may well turn up there.

If you are a member of the London Cycling Campaign you may also get free legal advice if you want to challenge the locker company. It may be that someone else left if open - have you checked with other users?

• 3 weeks later...

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry for your news. A reminder for all to get

> their bikes security marked - police do regular

> sessions by Franklns every month. Not sure

> whether the next one will go ahead due to lockdown

> https://www.bikeregister.com/events?postcode=se23

> 3dq Do check ebay and particularly Gum Tree as it

> may well turn up there.

>

> If you are a member of the London Cycling Campaign

> you may also get free legal advice if you want to

> challenge the locker company. It may be that

> someone else left if open - have you checked with

> other users?

It was a single locker rather than a hangar... sadly didn't get chance to get it security marked in time