Potty training with reusable nappies - brands?

Hi,

I have a 17 month old who is doing really well with potty training (all baby led - please no judgements or comments on the age - it's happening without us pushing her I promise!). It's only been no 2s she's been fussed for but now it's definately for wee wees too (to the extent we are currently on holiday and she must be the only 1 year old who insists on getting out of a swimming pool to pee!!)

She is in real nappies but we just have birth to potty popper ones, and ideally would like pull ups as it's a real hassle to put them back on etc etc.

Any recommendations for type of nappy others have found helpful as I would really like to "keep it real". Also, how many would you think I'd need? I don't expect the process to be quick given her age, I don't want to ignore her either!

Thank you in advance for any help

I've had a similar experience with my daughter. She's always been in real nappies and very interested in going to the toilet. At 18m we stopped using nappies during the day and moved over to Bright Bots training pants (size small). They will stop a poo accident completely, and soak up a little wee so they are great if your LO sonetimes has a little accident before letting you know that she needs to go. They are not able to cope with a whole wee, though, so they will probably leak at that point.

I still use a nappy at nap times and at night, and after a couple of months in training pants we just use knickers now. I bought 5 pairs of training pants, and that was plenty for us. However, I didn't use them until she was regularly clean and dry all day anyway.

The intermediate stage we used from about 15m was to go back to just using the newborn insert in a pocket nappy, and then pulling it off for trips to the loo. I gave up on this when my daughter became resistant to putting on a nappy at all.

PS pm me if you want to borrow the training pants.

Hi, my son is 20 months now and he doesnt wear nappy for a month now. baby led potty training too, I bought lots of cheap underwear and took all old trousers out i case we have an accident to quickly change him. No 2 is still an issue to get to toilet on time but pee is no more a worry. I put nappy on once when going outside but then thought that it confuses him so stopped it. he still wears nappy for his naps and at night but we put them on just before putting him to sleep.

good luck , dont give up after few accidents,

Hiya,

Bright Bots as mentioned above are good. Also (a bit more absorbent) are Motherease Trainer Pants - they will contain a wee.

For night time you can use the attractively named Motherease Bedwetter Pants - I still have some of these left from my girls which I'm happy to let go at a good price if you are interested. They are an all in one pull up, washable nappy.

Despite my forum name, I no longer actually do cloth nappy demos, or have a connection with The Nappy Lady, but this page from

the website is helpful in terms of different makes and the pros and cons - photos etc. there too!

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/trainer_pants.asp

Good luck with it - I don't think the age is that surprising, as children in cloth often make the necessary connections (associating the feeling of a full bladder and releasing the wee with the resulting wet feeling) sooner that children in

disposables. Hurrah!

• 1 month later...

So to update.... Potty training going great... Combo of nappies, training pants and knickers are going well, and we are hoping to start at nursery in the new year too (could be fun!).

Our new issue.... The poor little mite is starting to wake for wees too. We give her milk about an hour before bedtime and ensure she has a big wee before bed (it's part of the routine now) but increasingly she is waking around 10-11pm and signing for the toilet. It's then v stressful to get her back down again as she doesn't settle as easily at this time as at 7pm (she is grizzling herself to sleep as we speak).

Any experience, suggestions, help! Should I wake her before she wakes herself and take her to the loo?? God knows!

Thanks in advance :0) x