Masks (or lack of) on the train

ed_pete

There is also the option of wearing a head cover at all times that can be used as a scarf around your neck, as a balaclava, headband, bandana etc etc and of course it works perfectly as a mask to. Prices vary between 5 and 30?. And if you don't need it it stays also around your wrist very fashionably! You can buy one or make one yourself with whatever piece of fabric, even a kitchen cloth works. It would be reusable washable, dries quickly on a radiator, and convenient too.

Whilst travelling on a bus the other day, spotted another passenger wearing a lanyard with the words 'I am exempt from wearing a mask' She also had a plastic card attached which I assume gave more details for her exemption.

I think this is a good idea, this lady was obviously genuine and had gone to the trouble if getting this essential information. Perhaps all those who have a genuine medical need to be exempt should follow her actions. Those who could not be bothered to wear a mask would easily stand out.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> NewWave Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We buy the disposable ones from Amazon it works

> > out way cheaper.

>

> Sorry to be dim, but how can that work out cheaper

> than using two or three washable, reusable masks?

>

> You are only supposed to use the disposable ones

> once, so over what timescale are you comparing the

> relative price?

We buy about 50 which last just over a month for about ?10 I often get through 2 masks a day because I'm in them for approx 11 hours.

I do have reusable ones but after washing (or steam cleaning at the end of the day)several times I've found they dont seem to fit as securely-bits that go round the ears stretch etc.

I'm lucky in that I am still in employment so am able to afford the disposable masks.

What I get upset with are shops with boxes of disposable masks on counter (usually newsagents and small independent food shops) for 50p each

As someone else pointed out-you could always wear a bandana or scarf around your nose and mouth if you cant afford to buy masks.

"But we also uncovered some poor one-layer face coverings that blocked as little as 7% of particles from penetrating the mask. "

So is Which assuming the job of a facemask is to protect the wearer - that isn't what I thought the primary role was.