Dulwich LSP Phase 2 - No access for cars Townley Road to East Dulwich Road from 22 October

AylwardS

Coming back to the subject of whether the council is doing enough (bar closing roads) to encourage cycling I read, with interest, the Cycle Hanger pdf found here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/traffic-orders-licensing-strategies-and-regulation/traffic-management-orders?chapter=5&article

It suggests that since lockdown the council has managed to put cycle hangers (or proposals for cycle hangers) in two locations in SE22 - one on Dunstans Road and one on Lordship Lane.

Have they done more than this or is that it? If so, it doesn't look like they are doing enough for those who don't have huge houses or gardens to store their bikes.

Hi Rockets,

Have you applied for a new hanger? If it is for you, then it is probably worth getting the demand sent in - below is the note that I received from Southwark Council when applying for a new hanger. I don't think there are spaces in current hangers to rent when I looked last week, so best to apply for a new one I suggest.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding cycle hangars in the London Borough of Southwark

To make an enquiry regarding available spaces please go to the following website - https://www.cyclehoop.rentals/

New hangar application

If all spaces are allocated or there are no hangars currently in your area, you may apply to have your location added to the register of potential future bike hangar locations.

To allow us to best process your application please provide the below details, and send to [email protected]

Applicants Name

Applicants Address

Applicants Post code

Applicants Email address

Proposed Bike Hangar location

(street address and description)

Once submitted, this will go onto our register for assessment and prioritising. To support your local installation you can gather support and submit with your application on the attached form.

Installation is generally completed on an annual basis as funding allows, and applicants of the shortlisted locations are advised if possible prior to consultation of their site.

Please ?x? this box below if you agree for our contractor to contact you directly regarding works start date, delays or other related queries.

Regards,

Southwark Council

CWJ yes a lot of people from our street, myself included, did during the first lockdown. I would encourage anyone else to do the same as the council must be monitoring the demand - let's hope they start actioning a few more of them to help the modal shift they so desire.

Does anyone know why there appears to be so few new ones going in?

Maybe what will happen is people will get so fed up of the road closures and restrictions that they'll decide not to drive short local journeys and will walk or cycle instead. This might in the end mean that people who HAVE to drive e.g. differently abled and delivery drivers, will find it easier to move around the major roads and the minor roads will be quiet and safe for the rest.

So annoying

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder why the restrictions last for so long

> each day and do they apply during the school

> holidays?

Because they're implemented by malicious halfwits?

More seriously, the text under the signs is already lengthy and looks awkward for drivers to read. The signs are cheap enough for a "temporary" measure, but maybe what's needed is an automated filter of the lights. At least there's nothing to stop anyone forced to turn right from doing a 3 point turn on E Dulwich Drove ;)

If it was possible to implement these restrictions for Dulwich why could they not have been put in on Champion Hill instead of closing the road?

Now you have to make a long round the houses trip to get to where it was once a 1 minute journey before

You are right implemented by Halfwits.

After closing the road for 18 months they now need another 18 months to monitor the effect.

I think because they are having to course correct as they go. They wanted to block and close more roads but realised the emergency services are against that because they are impacting response times. If you remember the council claimed they could not afford camera controlled closures and now they have found the money for them.

The Council letter says that "the Dulwich area was prioritised as it has very high volumes of traffic passing through its local streets, with a high number of schools and school pupils exposed to this". So I guess the purpose is to reduce traffic on local streets which have schools on them or (impliedly) are unavoidable travel routes to schools, with the underlying purpose of reducing exposure to air pollution for school pupils (whether they travel on foot, cycle, or by vehicle - bearing in mind that children in cars and buses will also be exposed to air pollution particularly if sitting in congestion), and to increase road safety, thereby encouraging more active travel to school?

Many of these children are coming on buses from Peckham and Brixton directions, you cannot expect them to walk with their heavy bags.

The Council are just not looking after children full stop. Whether they are Charter North or East, Jags, Alleyn's, Japs,DVIS, DHS, Judith Kerr, plus any I have forgotten(!). As long as the coaches get through apparently.