Help-Anyone had noise problems with royal mail sorting office on pellatt road?

ereed

Hi,

We're considering buying a house on crystal palace road-in between pellatt and silvester roads. The garden backs onto the side of a royal mail sorting office, which fronts onto pellatt road.

Does anyone living at the CPR end of pellatt or silvester rds or on that bit of CPR have noise issues with inevitable early starts etc from the sorting office/van traffic?

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Live a bit too far away to comment on direct noise issues but I've noticed that a lot of the van drivers keep their engines running to (presumably) warm up the cabs while they stick postbags, parcels etc in the back. I guess that might be a bit irritating. The British Gas vans that pick up their parts etc from the PO there do it too.

Hi, you could try knocking on the doors of houses near the sorting office to ask if they've had problems with noise.

A way to meet/check out your prospective new neighbours, too :)

You could also have an early start one day and go to the area one morning to check out the noise level for yourself - bad time of year, I know, but the weather's not as cold as it has been at the moment!

Years and years ago the sorting office vans had these really heavy iron back doors with chains attached and they used to zoom by in the early hours (3-4am) relatively quietly.

Then council put the speedbumps on CP road.

The back doors made an atrocious noise, really deafening, within a couple of days I had to move bedroom to back of house because being woken up so violently was really unsettling, the vans actually shook the house as they banged into the speed bumps.

I complained up and down but it was Bumsteersville, Tennessee.

The vans have changed now I think.

We used to live on Pellatt Road very near to the sorting station and did find it quite annoying. There was often noise of van doors, drivers chatting, and sometimes loud music blaring inside the vans very early in the morning. I think the noise was concentrated in the driveway on Pellat, so might be okay on the other side by Crystal Palace Road?

I used to rent a flat next to the sorting office on Pellatt Road and to be honest it was a constant source of annoyance. It was not just the noise early in the mornings and the number of vehicles parked outside but the fact that there were overnight deliveries. This meant that in the summer I couldn't have windows open overnight as it sounded like a truck was reversing directly into the bedroom...

This was about 7 years ago however so might have changed by now. I think where I was living was also probably the worst possible location as it was directly next to the sorting office.