Freeview with only small TV-top aerial in SE22 ???

KidKruger

I am a bit thick with technology so would appreciate some help with figuring out my chances of getting Freeview in SE22 using only a small TV-top aerial to pick-up the signal.

I want to get freeview but just by plugging the freeview box into my TV and using the small aerial.

When I text the freeview no. with my postcode to see if I will be able to get a signal I get a reply saying 'yes as long as your rooftop aerial is in good condition'.

Have any of you clever people ever got away with watching freeview without having to fit an aerial on the roof ???

Reason I ask is I don't want to fork-out for the box and subscription card (Setanta) to find I can't pick-up a decent signal.

FYI - I get the normal 5 channels no problem.

Any advice gladly appreciated.

KidKruger, I got a Freeview box from John Lewis online for about ?40 six or so months ago. It is a Roadstar, the receiver is about the size of two DVD cases stacked on top of each other, and the set top aerial is about 5 inches tall and it all works well. It also won some green award for low power use, so you can feel slightly smug whilst watching the box.

Wow !!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm off to get my freeview box later today on account of your speedy and pertinent advice !

I actually want the box so I have a card slot to access Setanta for tomorrow's boxing (and other contests going forward) so speak now or forever..... if you know of any reason why I may have an issues getting Setanta.

Can't believe how quickly my query was resolved...thanks again !

Hi KidKruger

I've an old freeview box that I'm not using, so if you want to borrow it to see if you get a decent signal before you commit let me know.

Mark

ps I'm near Goose Green and I have a great signal using a crappy old set top aerial.

Well I done got that freeview box now and used the old set-top aerial I normally use for my terrestrial telly and hey-presto I have clear pictures.

The usual 5 TV channels are actually better than I have ever seen before at home !

Mark - I really appreciate the offer from yesterday I did not see it until just now but thanks anyway, that would have been a good test. As it turns out I got a box with the slot for Setanta and have it all working now.

All the best,

KK.

that's all we have - we lose reception occasionally if the people in the flat upstairs are moving about a lot, but ok on a budget. have been promising 'er indoors that i'll get a proper ariel up asap, but we've been in the flat for nearly 2 years and we're still on the tv-top!

I managed to fashion a receptor dish out of an old dustbin lid and a brolly skeleton. Connected it to my Digibox and pointed it towards Dawson Heights to pick up any reflected signals from Crystal Palace and now get a perfect picture on freeview. Occasionally goes fuzzy on the BidUp TV channel when the woman in flat 73 turns the chip fryer on.