Does anyone regularly use Southeastern trains towards Kings X / Kentish Town?

sarahew

ED to St Pancras in about 40 mins is pretty good and I put up with the odd delay by not getting the absolute last possible train - it's a decent service IMO even though a couple of wrinkles could do with ironing-out.

Make the most of it - we may soon wish this service still existed !!

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Because of the new Overground route using limited

> capacity in December.

The proposed reduction in service to Thameslink via Herne Hill is nothing to do with the new ELLX. The South London line is being closed due to the introduction of the new ELLX and the lack of capacity at London Bridge during refurbishment work.

South London Line = the shuttle outer circle service between Victoria and London Bridge

ELLX = extension to the East London Line a.k.a. the London Overground, with trains running between Clapham Junction and Highbury and Islington

Thameslink = trains from P Rye, D Hill etc north to Blackfriars, Kings Cross etc. and south to Sevenoaks.

The South London Line is to cease, the ELLX is to arrive and Thameslink will be unaffected for the moment, although the proposal is that trains from Herne Hill will not continue through to beyond Blackfriars but will terminate there.

I thought that there was to be a choice between either the Thameslink trains from Herne Hill or the trains from Denmark Hill terminating at Blackfriars (or least most of the trains from one of these stations terminating there). As I understood it, the trains from HH were more likely to be chosen for operational reasons. Has there been a recent change in the position that I haven't heard about?

Read below!

The Department for Transport has extended a vital consultation on the future of direct trains from Loughborough Junction, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill into central London.

They had invited comments on plans to terminate ?Wimbledon loop? trains from these stations at Blackfriars by 2018 to ease congestion on the line. The trains currently continue through City Thameslink, Farringdon, St Pancreas and beyond.

Due to the strength of protest from local commuters and politicians the deadline for comments has now been put back to September 14.

Lib Dem councillor for Streatham, Jeremy Clyne, said he had asked for the deadline to be put back as not enough people knew about the plans.

He said: ?Awareness levels are still woeful despite this proposal being potentially devastating for 100,000s of Thameslink residents and commuters.

?To us the Thameslink is vital, we have few other transport choices in this part of south London and people have made signifi- cant financial and personal com- mitment to live based solely on the Thameslink running through central London to Farringdon, St Pancras and City Thameslink stations and beyond.?

Resident Rebecca Mayo said: ?We are urgently urging all local councillors and MPs, Rail Minister Theresa Villiers and the Department for Transport to do everything they can to wholeheartedly reject proposals that any of the existing Thameslink/ Wimbledon loop trains should terminate at Blackfriars station.?

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: ?This is a consultation document and we welcome any views on the best option to take. We encourage people to provide responses.?

Streatham MP Chuka Umunna said: ?I am incredibly pleased that the consultation period has now been extended. Far too many people who would suffer from this possible reduction in Thameslink services knew nothing about it until recently and many are still not aware.?

The deadline for comments was 14 September. So does anyone know when we're likely to hear the outcome?

The timetable for the whole rail franchising process has been boogered up by the West Coast Line fiasco. What effect will this have on the Thameslink franchising process and what effect, if any, on the choice of Blackfriars as terminus for certain Thameslink services?

I do laugh at people who get on at PR/DH and complain they dont get a seat. Unless you are travelling to Luton, then you are likely to be standing for only 15 minutes. Given most of you probably sit on your backside all day, I am sure it cant be too painful!

If the trains terminate at Blackfriars, its likely to be a short wait to change for a train heading north.

Life could be worse ...

I got this response on the 19th Oct to my response to the consultation:

"Thank you for taking the time to respond to the consultation on the new Thameslink, Southern, and Great Northern franchise.

You may already be aware that the Secretary for State for Transport, Patrick McLoughlin, announced on 3 October that the Thameslink, Southern, and Great Northern franchise competition has been paused, pending the independent reviews which are designed to ensure that future competitions are robust and deliver best value for passengers and taxpayers. Full details of his announcement may be found at http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20121003a/

The level of the response to this consultation was exceptionally high. We are currently studying all responses carefully, and expect to publish a summary of the views expressed in due course.

Once again, please be assured that your comments are appreciated and are being considered."

But a helluva lot of them, especially a great chunk of the younger and fitter ones who have grown up in a dog eat dog society and (I suppose) know no better. When I was growing up, kids automatically gave up their seats to adults. My wife, who is in her sixties and unable to stand up for a long time, was recently approached by a woman on a bus who had the cheek to ask her to give up her seat so that her child could sit down!

Lane Lover doesn't sound too sympathetic to the plight of disabled people and those less able to stand.