Dangerous dogs in Brockwell Park

rachelnathania

I know this is more of an issue for the Herne Hill forum but as this forum is more active I'm posting it here -

I've been in touch recently with Lambeth Council about the number of "status" dogs, and other dangerous breeds or out of control dogs in Brockwell Park. I don't think dogs should be banned from the park but I think some of them are a real danger to children. For example, a few weeks ago I saw a very young boy being thoroughly intimidated by an enormous mastiff in a fighting harness, whose owner was nowhere to be seen. I also saw a man blatantly training his dog for fighting, by encouraging it to hang from tree branches by its jaws. I also found out from the Met Police that in the last year alone three people have been attacked by out-of-control dogs in the park.

The council replied to say they understood there was a problem and would look into taking action, but it would all depend on whether there was enough public interest (and money). So, if you are also concerned about this, please PM me and I'll let you know what you can do to help. Also, if you have seen incidents similar to the one I described above, please either post it here or PM me, so we can build a list of examples to share with the Council so they are motiviated to take action.

Thanks

Met a guy in Goose Green recently who had a huge intact young male who was half Pitbull/half American bulldog. To his credit he did have the dog on a lead but he was having trouble controlling him. The dog was incredibly strong. Aren't pit crosses illegal?

Many owners of status dogs will say they have a pit cross because it makes them look tough. A labrador x boxer could look very like a pit, as could a lab x staff. American Bulldogs share many breed traits with the pit bull and if anything are even bigger and stronger and they are not a banned breed. The whole territory is very confused.

As you say, these are very powerful, drivey breeds. Just as I would not want a learner driver careering around the inner city in a Ferrari so I don't want kids or novice owners handling/owning these dogs.