Major Works by Southwark Council...should I be worried?

sedm

A group of us are being charged ?30,000 by Lewisham council over three years, that's ?800 a month for major works. Understand the section 20 consultation procedure you won't find out the estimated costs until just before the works start, you then won't know the final cost until their completion.

I have spoken to an organisation called LEASE - they were helpful can also have some good advice and guidance sheets on their website. Good luck. We're going to need it on our estate.

I also urge you to take photos of the works if they have started to contest the charges if the work is not of a good standard.

You could also see if anyone else in your block wants to join together to complain. You can complain to your local mo, councillor, head of southwark homes ( if there is such a thing - we have lewisham homes)

Thanks everyone for input. And best of luck to all in similar situations.

Things are looking a bit bleak. I have contacted a councillor and he has pointed me similar directions. To WOODLAND, I asked if there was a maximum charge that could be given to someone over a period of time. He said he though 25000 was the maximum that could be asked for. Sorry its a bit vague but maybe its a lead to getting yours reduced.

LAS2000 is a runner. I have sent an enquiry, has anyone ever managed to walk in and talk to someone. If so would love the details, address etc.

I can't find the LEASE organisation. (Not a great search word on google). Would really appreciate a web address or link.

I will post up any news I have, bad or good.

Nickyphoto: part of our major works the windows aren't being done as they have a 30year life span (apparently). Might be worth checking the life span your council stipulates on various fixture and fittings.

As mentioned by Woodland, our estate is being charged ?30k per flat. 'apparently' our freeholder got a Decent Homes grant but not sure where this has been absorbed. My legal expert has advised that our freeholder has failed to maintain the block over the years, therefore they need major works to bring them back to a standard to where should be (they are not improving the block, just returning it to it's previous state), therefore they have broken their agreement -might be worth checking that.

We are stuck as well, as ?800 a month is an unrealistic amount to pay back! I would be living in a nice house if I had that sort of extra cash lying about! (lewisham council are totally unsympathetic to this).

Im sure there was something on the forum or press about Southwark council being charged over backhanders with service charges...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

there's also this new law that came into effect this past month, capping major works to ?15k. Seems complicated in terms of funding sources and start dates.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-landlords-reduction-of-service-charges-mandatory-and-discretionary-directions-2014

We've just had an offer accepted on a leasehold property. Concerned about future major works as the estate is a line item on the Southwark website listing all of the major works. And then again, nearly every estate is listed here: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3754/major_works_downloads

From what I can tell, there are 2 leaseholders in the block of 8 dwellings in total.

Any advice on how to get the scope of works (or even better estimate) out of Southwark? The Home Ownership unit simply said that our solicitors should request a pre-assignment pack (for ?180). Think they would do this automatically as a part of searches, but we really want to know sooner rather than later since we have to arrange our finances before the solicitor will get going with searches. We certainly don't want to be landed with a huge surprise bill upon moving in.

Thanks!

Leaeshold generally (not just with Southwark) and be a financial nightmare when the building is being managed by some distant organisation. I own a flat (1/4 in a Victorian block) - it used to be managed by a agent of the freeholder and as an example, to get a simple roof repair done, they would send a sureveyor, a safety guy, a project manager to "manage" 3 x quotes and then finally appoint somebody to do the work. We had the case of 2 missing tiles costing about 6k (1.5 k each)

A few years back we (the tenants) took on the management ourselves under Right to Manage. The above example now turns into us getting a couple of local roofers to quote and a few hundred quid. Maybe takes 2 weeks

You can only do RTM if theres enough people in the block interested and, it does involve a certain degree of work (which, ironically, can be outsourced to a management firm - but on your own terms)

The key thing is: as homeowners we all try to get good value for anything we do. A distant management firm (whether the council or anybody else) isn't maybe as bothered about the value piece - as long as they tick their boxes.