crime is going to get worse in Dulwich

This thread is about crime in the near future ED guy, a point that quite a few people seem to have missed.

The status quo can be pinned on what has happened since 2016, fine.

But what happens next is down to decisions being made today. And those decisions include >20% (on your figures) of the entire London Mayor's office budget cuts being taken from policing.

Of the ?493m blackhole in city hall finances, the police and fire brigade are stumping up over 25%.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well Rishi Sunak has just made himself the most

> profligate chancellor the country has ever seen,

> helping many local people survive covid and stay

> off the dole.

Which will be paid for by cutting council budgets, especially Labour controlled ones.

I guess removing the Mayor and all the whole infrastructure around him would save a chunk of that money that could be diverted towards the police and fire brigade.

Then central government can run London and it will be on their heads if additional cuts are needed

🙄

Spartacus Wrote:

> I guess removing the Mayor and all the whole

> infrastructure around him would save a chunk of

> that money that could be diverted towards the

> police and fire brigade.

>

> Then central government can run London and it will

> be on their heads if additional cuts are needed

>

> 🙄

Or give London powers equivalent to Scotland - It's big enough ?

Johnl that defeats the point of removing the mayor and all the infrastructure around him to save money for essential services

Sadly devolution adds layers of bureaucracy and cost between the people and the funding suppliers (I'm this case the government)

Let's look at Scotland as you brought it in, they maintain a separate parliament , parliament building, support staff and all the associated costs which could be better used to support the Scottish people if the funding was applied through a UK central body (one small group of officials managing projects across the 4 regions of the UK)

Whilst devolution is a good ambition, sadly like any organisation, money is siphoned off to maintain it which is lost money to the people who actually need it.

There needs to be a balance between local representation and cost effectiveness which is what the system of MPs for the country is supposed to deliver however add in buildings, parliaments, assemblies and the money is directed away from where it is needed into the supporting systems costs fairly quickly.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Well Rishi Sunak has just made himself the most

> profligate chancellor the country has ever seen,

> helping many local people survive covid and stay

> off the dole.

And just you wait to see how he decides to claw the money back afterwards. Then we can talk ;)

I hope this type of thing doesn't spread because the cops will NEVER be able to deal with anything else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8605347/Standoff-police-arrest-14-year-old-boy-suspicion-cannabis-possession.html?ito=push-notification&ci=27027&si=13475645

This was a legitimate arrest and a completely inappropriate response.

Given that the mayor has 'sided' with trouble makers on many occasions methinks he is using London as a political football

seenbeen Wrote:

> I hope this type of thing doesn't spread because

> the cops will NEVER be able to deal with anything

> else.

> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8605347/S

> tandoff-police-arrest-14-year-old-boy-suspicion-ca

> nnabis-possession.html?ito=push-notification&ci=27

> 027&si=13475645

>

> This was a legitimate arrest and a completely

> inappropriate response.

> Given that the mayor has 'sided' with trouble

> makers on many occasions methinks he is using

> London as a political football

We did that as students 30 years ago - but the arrested person used to chuck their stash out the back of the police van before they found it I heard. The only difference is it's BLM here not middle class students.

seenbeen Wrote:

> JohnL wrote...'We did that as students 30 years

> ago ...' what you protested outside a cop shop

> over a legitimate arrest? Really? I don't think so

> somehow....

We went marching as students in central London - about keeping student grants I think - The leader of the student union got arrested and chucked his 'package' to those surrounding the van and everybody followed to the police station.

Following to a police station is a standard thing to put pressure on them to release - a few did it on recent remainer marches (I wasn't there but followed Owen Jones twitter).

I well remember a superintendent at Westminster bridge saying they'd call in the army before they allowed parliament to be marched on - I was 18 and thought it was a bit of fun.

seenbeen Wrote:

> JohnL wrote...'We did that as students 30 years

> ago ...' what you protested outside a cop shop

> over a legitimate arrest? Really? I don't think so

> somehow....

Yeah, we followed those arrested on CND demonstrations in the sixties and later in the eighties to the police station as well.