crime is going to get worse in Dulwich

eddeal1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yes more than one time

and me - more than one time - but I get more worried about my reaction to being mugged rather than being mugged (if you get me).

Spartacus Wrote:

> eddeal1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > yes more than one time

>

>

> Sounds like you want / need to talk about it

Seriously talking helps - as phones and money can be replaced, banks ALWAYS refund in these circumstances - but you're left feeling a little helpless and if you got angry and upset worried about getting angry and upset.

There's a huge amount of different crime around (what fun!) but sounds like the OP is referring to local street crime. In London it always appears (and usually is) worse in Summer so hopefully when the schools are back - fingers crossed - things will seem calmer.

JohnL stop worrying about being angry and upset please.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> If Sadiq Khan wins the mayoral election again it

> will get even worse sadly.

>

> He is planning to cut police spending by

> ?110,000,000.00

>

> Shaun Bailey will stop those cuts if elected.

>

> .

> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/priti-pat

> el-accuses-sadiq-khan-threatening-cut-police-offic

> ers-a4516931.html

you know that the article doesn't say what you say it says?

There are numbers from our esteemed Home Secretary in that article, so I would imagine that ?three hundred thousand, and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand? something or others are involved.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sadiq Khan wants everyone to live in

> Self-Sacrifice / Self-denial

> never allowing oneself any pleasure or enjoyment.

>

>

> Contrite.. feeling remorseful and penitent.

weird

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> If Sadiq Khan wins the mayoral election again it

> will get even worse sadly.

>

> He is planning to cut police spending by

> ?110,000,000.00

>

> Shaun Bailey will stop those cuts if elected.

>

> .

> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/priti-pat

> el-accuses-sadiq-khan-threatening-cut-police-offic

> ers-a4516931.html

I didn't read the article but it was the Tories who got rid of 20k police. The same amount they are now trying to take credit for recruiting. They got rid of our local police station too. How you can blame the current Mayor for this I don't know.

Maybe if successive protests such as anti-Brexit, extinction rebellion and blm etc etc hadn't wasted so much police resources things would not be so dire. The ONLY protests worth doing in the last 20 years was the march against the Iraq war- the rest was just a bunch of virtue-signalling, anti-democratic pile of pants

Alan, I am not blaming Sadiq Khan for government policy.

I simply repeating his statement that he will cut the Met police budget by ?110 million next year.

He is also going to cut the London fire brigade budget by ?25,000,000.

This is from the London Mayor's own website.

"Based on the current ?reasonable worst-case? estimate MOPAC will have to save ?45.5m in 2020-21 and then ?63.8m in 2021-22, as its contribution to the total ?493m savings required. For LFB it will be ?10m in 2020-21 and ?15m in 2021-22."

So however bad you think crime is now in East Dulwich and surrounds, it is likely to get a lot worse under the current mayor

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Alan, I am not blaming Sadiq Khan for government

> policy.

>

> I simply repeating his statement that he will cut

> the Met police budget by ?110 million next year.

>

> He is also going to cut the London fire brigade

> budget by ?25,000,000.

>

> This is from the London Mayor's own website.

>

> "Based on the current ?reasonable worst-case?

> estimate MOPAC will have to save ?45.5m in 2020-21

> and then ?63.8m in 2021-22, as its contribution to

> the total ?493m savings required. For LFB it will

> be ?10m in 2020-21 and ?15m in 2021-22."

>

> So however bad you think crime is now in East

> Dulwich and surrounds, it is likely to get a lot

> worse under the current mayor

I've read the article now. It appears you didn't.

Of course I read it and the two paragraphs pertinent to this thread are as follows:

Central government funding of the police:

"Priti Patel said crime was up in the capital despite London having the ?highest police funding settlement in the country? and a cash increase of over ?190 million this year."

Sadiq Khan funding of the police:

"The Mayor of London has warned of potential cuts of almost ?110million to policing as a result of a collapse in City Hall?s income due to the economic impacts of coronavirus."

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Of course I read it and the two paragraphs

> pertinent to this thread are as follows:

>

> Central government funding of the police:

>

> "Priti Patel said crime was up in the capital

> despite London having the ?highest police funding

> settlement in the country? and a cash increase of

> over ?190 million this year."

>

> Sadiq Khan funding of the police:

>

> "The Mayor of London has warned of potential cuts

> of almost ?110million to policing as a result of a

> collapse in City Hall?s income due to the economic

> impacts of coronavirus."

These bits you've quoted are so cherry picked it's ridiculous.

The mayor is planning for a decrease of funds to the tune of 493 million due to reasons stated here: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-tfl-cuts-city-hall-sadiq-khan-a4480986.html This next article outlines the cuts: https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/sadiq-khan-announces-500million-cuts-18497949 What's not being discussed is that the largest proportional cuts are being made to TFL and the Mayor's office. The smallest are to the police and the fire brigade. The article also mentions a reserve of 118 million being kept on to keep police officers affordable.

Perhaps these potential cuts wouldn't hurt so badly if the police force hasn't already lost 47% of their officers since 2010. Here: https://www.gmb.org.uk/news/shock-figures-reveal-23500-police-staff-cut-under-tories

Guess what mayor was in office when the worst of those losses happened? On a side note, Mr. Bailey's pledge to bring 8,000 new officers is a good start, but he should recognise the mistakes made by previous government's austerity measures.

It seems Priti is implying that Khan is spitting in the face of the government's generous increase of 190 to the portion of the country that, rightly, has the highest budget.

Looking back, specifically here: https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/budget-confirms-110m-for-met-police, Khan has done his part in increasing spending on the police. There's also a nice little bit in there regarding the spending on police since 2010 which saw a 40% drop.

I think this entire matter is being viewed as a "what have you done for me lately?" matter. The current government has set out a big increase in spending to recruit more police officers. That's great. However, this is only making up for the 15% drop in officers between 2010-2018 and the 20% budget decrease from 2010 to 2015 (national). (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47225797).

Suggesting that Khan is knowingly working to reduce the number of officers within the city is laughable. Leveraging a singular article to make that point is also laughable.