Beautifying the built environment - not

Penguin68

Now that I have seen the ghastly scorched earth policy that is Camberwell Old Cemetary (Langston Rise end), combined with the bare ruined choirs in Barry Road where once the sweet birds sang (and nested) it is clear that someone in Southwark must hate us in ED with a vengeance - turning leafy suburbia into a stark dystopic urban nightmare. It is tempting to think that such a destruction of local amenity could be parlayed into a reduction in Council Tax. Or is this simply revenge for turning down the ED CPZ? Either which way, its a cold, bleak, hard and dreary winter for us on the visual front - at least Barry will green up again - but the wonderful old trees in the Cemetary are gone for ever, with nothing to replace them but bitter memories of a piece of paradise (see other threads).

A shame. But remember, we are an electorate, and once in a blue moon in London we are allowed to demonstrate that.

Yes P68, it is the Labour council members -because we have Lib Dem members. I went to a council meeting (when the Conservatives were in Central Government) where a Labour member (well known at the time for his green credentials) commented against what a Conservative member said and actually admitted that he knew nothing about the circumstances and it was obvious that he said it because the Conservative member had said what he had said. The incident certainly opened my eyes as to what was going on and explained a few things that had been going on in the Borough prior to that meting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• People are so weird on this forum
    • https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/libraries-0/carnegie-library It's a nice little library and meeting place.  One of the Carnegie ones of course. Actually not so little, the actual building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carnegie_libraries_in_Europe#/media/File:Carnegie_Library_Herne_Hill.JPG I get books from there sometimes, and have been to an occasional talk.  Last week there was a foursome quietly playing ?bridge/whist there mid-morning. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Hub project itself.  
    • Hi,  I’m wondering if anyone needs help with their dog during weekdays? I work part time as a nurse and so I’m free Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri each week.  I have young children and we usually go for a walk in the afternoons, around 1pm. I’d be happy for a child friendly dog to tag along with our stroll if they’re home alone during the day. The kids would love it and it’ll break up the day for your pooch. I’d charge £12. I live opposite Goodrich Road Primary school, so if anyone is close by and would like some help, let me know.    My contact number is 07599352340. Hayley
    • I bloody hate "grab". It used to mean "snatch" (not in its ruder sense) as in snatch and grab, and now it's just used all the time instead of "get" or "collect". eg "I'll come and grab them later" or "can I grab a cup of tea?" Also "Up for grabs" GRRRR 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In