Inside 72 - selling up

macroban

I believe there's scope for an outside area at the back. The problem would be how to access it from the bar (there is the small matter of two toilets in the way!). I also believe that there was talk at one point of extending upstairs. However, the flat above is apparently occupied.

I wasn't in this weekend to enquire what the situation is - has anyone else asked Bev and Steve yet? I am due to go in for a few drinks tomorrow night though ...

If it is definitely the case that they are selling up, then mini-Forum drinks are surely in order to commiserate the (potential) closing of my (and others') fave bar in ED.

Its good point though and goes for residential planning too. No consistency across the board!

Mr BarryMarshall - I agree if Inside 72 is closing to become something else we have to have a mother of all parties as a send off. And a few drams.

Were you in there two nights ago having a quiet glass of wine? I saw a very dapper looking gentelman in a well cut black suit and black tie and in my head I thought "That is Mr BarryMarshall of Inside 72 fame".

Or it was one of Franz Ferdinand.

Seems to me a prime opportunity for the forum and community to give some feedback and support to the owners.

I recently returned to The Seacow, after the owner promised improvements after reading complaints registered on here. Guess what? He had made the improvements and things are looking up again.

So, what we would like to see in Inside 72 and what improvements could be made ...

e.g. Music quiz, football screen for mon nights, films showed, suggestions on easy to do simple food.

How about a forum drinks night there? The place will only thrive if the locals like it and support it.

I'll be popping in for a pint this weekend

david

barrymarshall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We cannot allow the 72 to close. East D will not

> be the same without it.

we can and we will - horses for courses, but i've only been in once or twice and it's been a generally uncomfortable experience. much better sense to make room for a cafe or a shop selling attractive girly items for around the house that have no real use ;-)

that smiley might just save you bignumber5- hmmmmm

I'm with mostothers on 'ere - love the place and I'm in there at least once a week

but SteveT is spot on too re: The Castle. Old School as you like. I know some forumites live near there and witness "unpleasantness" but I like it. It was mooted as a forum drinks venue but some people were a bit anxious about the place. T'would have done them good to spend an evening in there I say. Failing that.... national service!

• 2 weeks later...

David, your comment about ?4,000 takings being good with a rent of ?20,000 is misguided. Of the ?4,000, take away VAT and then the actual cost of the booze and food and you are probably left with a gross profit of ?2,000 a week before all your costs: rent is just one. Rates are probably another ?10K a year, then you have salaries, wages, national insurance, utilities, insurance, building maintenance..with takings of ?4K a week the place can only be running at a loss.

Good luck to the Inside 72 guys.