Inside 72 - selling up

macroban

This is tragic. I know that change is a constant. But Inside 72 is unlike any bar I have been to in London. it is a treasure. Where else has such a good sound system and good tunes? Any new owners have to keep that up.

I'm genuinely worried that we face a string of bland bars without the quirks that have made East Dulwich a genuinely interesting place to go out in.

We need an Ark. Lets all get in it. Let us load it with our 3 wheel buggies, novelty coffee grinders, combat jackets and victorian properties and find a new land. A land with another Inside 72. And a Hannahs. I hear of a fabled place where they are establishing new colonies. And they call it Honor Oak.

WHO IS WITH ME??!

I'm guessing they could change it into a shop...with a change of use? Don't think it would work as a restaurant as its too small. Is there any room to extend it? The best thing would be for someone local to take it on, keep it largely the same but make a few changes to make it good. I used to love the pop quiz in there.

It's interesting as all of these businesses selling up are a different proposition in terms of space, lease length etc. Any prospective buyer needs some kind of Macroban matrix to compare them on level terms!

For example: What does a weekly net income of ?4900 mean when quoted on the brochure? Is that net of rates? and a ?20K a year isn't too bad for rent on LL?

I hope Inside 72 remains in one form or another....

It's so funny, when recession hits, and i've seen a few in ED, businesses just disappear and you end up with half the lane abandoned or waiting to be let for years on end. It's even more interesting now all these trendy little bars and quirky places are finding the ride tougher than expected, will the yummy brigade and wannabe claphamites finally be able to afford a propery in the SW postcode now that recession looms large and prices begin to fall? Not long to wait now my middle-class friends, get your bags packed and ready to go!

Louisa.

I thought they were talking about opening another floor or going out back, but never happened.

On a similar thread, I popped in to Black Cherry on Saturday evening, and they had fliers on the tables saying they'd been turned down for permission to have outdoor drinking at the back, and they say they are the only bar to have been. The Bishop has an area out back, so I don't see why the cherry can't. Would be nice to take your cocktail outside for a fag and not have to watch the traffic go by.