Inside 72 - selling up

macroban

Gutted!

Absolutely gutted that this is up for sale ... it's one of the best places in town, in London even.

But, yup, the smoking ban has harmed its business. I talked to one of the owners a while back who said that takings had been down quite a bit.

Balls to this Nazi anti-smoking government that is putting good pubs out of business!! Grrrr!

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Must have been hit by smoking ban this one!

How does ya figure that? It's not like its a HUGE place where the distance from the bar to the door is far too great for a smoker to deal with... AND for those who do go outside to smoke have the luxury of a bus shelter for when it rains, is windy or for those who do not wish to stand ;-)

This is a real real shame, next to the CPT this is by far my favourite drinking establishment in ED. I dodn't notice it looking particularly quiet, but I guess a fair few people would sit on the sofas for ages nursing one drink.

If the owner is correct and this is down to the smoking ban, then surely it's a great demonstration of how a venue should be able to chose whether it allows smoking or not. It's all well and good to say people have a right to go to a smoke free place, fine. However, if they are chosing not to go to a certain place, and that place is losing business because it's usual smoking punters are not coming in, surely that's just wrong!

Keef Wrote:

> If the owner is correct and this is down to the

> smoking ban, then surely it's a great

> demonstration of how a venue should be able to

> chose whether it allows smoking or not. It's all

> well and good to say people have a right to go to

> a smoke free place, fine. However, if they are

> chosing not to go to a certain place, and that

> place is losing business because it's usual

> smoking punters are not coming in, surely that's

> just wrong!

Well as an anti-smoker I completely agree. I didn't go to Inside 72 because it was so smoky and never tried it after the ban. If it remained a smoking bar so what - why can't this government treat us as adults who can make a measured decision of where we want to drink! and if that means inhaling smoke so be it.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> It's funny, you lot say you frequent these places but I've never seen you while I'm using the windows as a mirror to sort me hair out :p

That's because I've only been in once since the smoking ban! Used to go in several times a week, usually for a last pint or 2.

By the way, I have to ask, in real life do you stick your tongue out at people after every sentence?

dulmum Wrote:

> b*llocks, i fear the onset of drab uniformity

> along the whole strip. No more duvel and green

> fairy frenzies for me.

Full of admiration for someone who can drink Duvel and remember doing so........

They have the bottled versions of Goose Island IPA and Anchor Steam Brewery stuff. Very nice indeed.

Shame to see this place up for sale. I suppose, optimistically, the new owners could continue with the same business albeit with minor changes to bring in some more cash.

The ?4000 pw takings and an annual rent of ?20000 doesn't seem too bad. In fact that seems pretty good to me as a layman. Perhaps scor46 could put us right.