Traffic Calming measures in Scutari Road... Has the council gone mad???

Brian Tee

Hi Renata Hamvas

I am not in your ward, and I don?t live in Scutari Road, But what I do know, is how Southwark Council waste our Public money on projects, that are a waste of time i.e.: Melbourne Grove. A very narrow road for a main road, two way traffic, people having there wing mirrors broken and cars scratched, because the Council have stopped them parking on the pavement verge, when the buses ran down there, they allowed off street parking on the pavement verge, and removed all traffic calming measures (HUMPS) so buses could be diverted down Melbourne grove whilst repairs took place somewhere else. After a couple of weeks, when the buses stopped and went back to their normal route, they relayed the humps and stopped parking on the concrete verge. But there was still the same volume of traffic using the road. And then they started giving tickets out for parking on the concrete pavement verge, ?130-00, and ?65 if you pay within fourteen days. This is extortion, seeing as a pensioner is only allowed ?116 per week to live on. Traffic calming humps have eventually been put in Ashbourne Grove and Chesterfield Grove at considerable expense, and have not made one bit of difference. Upland Road, Thousands wasted on humps that cars are parked on, and one out three humps are actually being used. And you can go on and on.

I live on Scutari Road and have 2 children. I know humps are unpopular, but they work: it is as simple as that. A clear illustration of this was when the humps were completely removed during the resurfacing. - cars were hammering up there at 40, perhaps even 50mph. The ones that were there before were negotiable, whereas the new ones are more effective in actually slowing the traffic down.

If I had my way, I would like to see the road being blocked at Mundania to stop the road being used as a rat run at all.

Claire-T Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I live on Scutari Road and have 2 children. I

> know humps are unpopular, but they work: it is as

> simple as that. A clear illustration of this was

> when the humps were completely removed during the

> resurfacing. - cars were hammering up there at

> 40, perhaps even 50mph. The ones that were there

> before were negotiable, whereas the new ones are

> more effective in actually slowing the traffic

> down.

>

> If I had my way, I would like to see the road

> being blocked at Mundania to stop the road being

> used as a rat run at all.

I would support this proposal - th' rather than an absolute block it could be a "chicane" with emergency access for Ambulance / Fire Engines. The rat run is annoying and affects children's safety as Marmora Road now has a lot more children under the age of 10 than was h case 10 years ago.

I can see why if you live on those roads you would want them blocked off. By the same token, many residential roads in ED are used as as shortcuts or "rat runs". I don't think that this, in itself is a reason to block them off unless there is some other significant factor that makes them unsuitable for that amount of traffic (e.g. width of road).

Over in HOP we've got the anti rat run barriers and it's like the 1950s. The odd car, but otherwise peace and quiet reigns. There's a barrier in the block to the north and east of the station, north of the road Honor Oak Park, and one to the south and east. Worth a ten minute wander around if you're using HOP station any time and want to see the difference they do make.

No speed bumps either!

I seem to recall when a dog was unfortunately killed by a car on Marmora Road that the idea of blocking roads in and around Scutari Road was raised. The fear was that it would simply force traffic to use Mundania/Shelbury/Dovedale as an alternative.

The routing in Honor Oak Park is a definite example of how this can be done well, so there is a great local example to be considered.