Traffic Calming measures in Scutari Road... Has the council gone mad???

Brian Tee

davidh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have lived in scutari for 8 years and have been

> pressing the council for some means of reducing

> speeds. it is a long, wide road and is used as a

> rapid rat run morning and evening. the so-called

> bumps put in today are waste of time and our

> money. they hardly qualify as bumps at all, so

> weeny are they. note johnie... there were no speed

> bumps on scutari at all before this rubbish

> attempt.

David, there were some rather pathetic bumps both sides of the Mundania and Therapia cross roads - see this streetview photo - and there were enough pot holes to give a calming effect. My point was once the road was resurfaced it looked like Santa Pod, and downhill one way to boot...

Ward councillors did not push for traffic calming measures on this road! (James' comment above). A few months ago there was consultation on the Forest Hill Rd / Colyton Rd Traffic lights. Some residents raised there were issues with speeding/rat running Scutari Rd. There was a consultation during the last half of August as it whether the speed cushions (there prior to the resurfacing)should be replaced by humps and raised tables be put at the junctions. 14% of respondants were against the scheme ( so not everyone wanted the scheme) and 86% for it ( ie not everyone but the majority).

I can see that on this thread there are differing opinions! As the scheme is currently going in, I would suggest residents wait and see the full outcome eg does it slow traffic or not, is their any impact on rat running or not? etc,

Renata

> I can see that on this thread there are differing

> opinions! As the scheme is currently going in, I

> would suggest residents wait and see the full

> outcome eg does it slow traffic or not, is their

> any impact on rat running or not? etc,

How is this going to be assessed? Do you have the traffic volumns/number of speeders data before the work started?

Well I make no secret of my view that the council have indeed gone hump mad......and don't get me started on the money wasted on many of these schemes. However did any of us get across the road safely 30 years ago? Oh we actually looked for traffic before crossing the road........

In my view.....all that humps do in the wrong places, is take away responsibility from drivers and pedestrians alike, for their own safety. And tbh does nothing to stop those drivers intent on speeding.

I have noticed at the bottom of Barry Road (the most inviting 'drag run' in East Dulwich for hooligan motorists) a couple of blue signs asking drivers to drive with respect to the residential nature of the road. There are a couple of junction humps at the top of Barry Road, and we know it is crossed by small kids attending the many schools (Goodrich, Heber), yet there are no other measures in place. I quite prefer this, or even simple speed signs, to remind motorists that they are in a 20mph restricted area, than the speed humps that cause additional noise and more erratic driving than a smooth clearway.

I have to also say that Renata's post included the following:

'There was a consultation during the last half of August as it whether the speed cushions (there prior to the resurfacing)should be replaced by humps and raised tables be put at the junctions.'

This does not suggest that additional humps would be put in on the lower part of Scutari Road (where everyone lives) which was where humps were previously opposed by the residents, which is what has happened - hence my original outrage.

I would also like to ask how many responses to the consultation were received, as it is more than likely just a handful.

7 responses would give a 14%/86% spread. Such a low response from a larger population would, in any statistical study, be considered worthless, and disregarded.

It may seem like a 'rat run' to newer residents, but believe me this is nothing compared to the chaos that we endured when the major works were carried out at the Reservoir behind Homestall Road, and we had heavy lorries and traffic avoiding the building congestion all using the road.

The humps and raised junctions are all now in place, so I suppose we will have to do as Renata suggests, and just see how much difference they make. If there is an accident now that they are installed, will that be considered good enough reason to remove them?

More traffic means lower speeds Renata because the roads are more congested. And you will also know that 30 years ago ther was a massive road safety campaign aimed at children through the media and schools along with speed awareness campaigns aimed at drivers.....because, just like today, some (not all) motorists speed and some (not all) pedestrians aren't careful.

I live on Scutari Road and am delighted that at long last some traffic calming measures have been put in. In 2002 a speeding car turned upside down outside our house and wrote-off one car and a motor bike and damaged a second car. Cars do seem to be driving more slowly now.

It seems that the relentless march of humps and controlled parking will continue despite what residents want. The new council says it wants to consult and even serve the residents. In many areas they are doing a good job. But in just this one area they seem to have no control over the council department.

I can only suspect that it is more about keeping certain contractors in work than actually doing what local people want.

I call upon our councillors to sort this out urgently and to listen to the residents. Remember councillors are only representative electors. The council legally consists of all of us!

Les Alden

I have to say that I am astonished (and somewhat pleased) that my original 'rant' has produced such a lively and meaningful debate. Now the humps and raised junctions are in, and, so far, there has been no noticeable difference in the volume or speed of the traffic that uses Scutari Road to avoid the traffic lights at the Colyton/Forest Hill Junction.

I also have to say that I find the new bumps quite acceptable, despite having a very stiff-sprung car with low ground clearance, for which speed cushions are far more of a hazard to sump plug/low bodywork.

So we will have to wait and see what happens as the bumps are installed into Marmora Road, and also see how the revised traffic management at the Colyton/Forest Hill junction affects use of this cut-through. I do recall Councillor Renata's visit and questions relating to the Colyton/Forest Hill junction, and can therefore vouch for her keen involvement in getting the more concerningly hazardous Forest Hill Road sorted out. There is now a traffic monitor on Forest Hill Road in place, opposite the Co-op, which I assume is measuring the volume and speed of traffic.

I'm afraid I do still hold the view that the installation of the speed bumps on Scutari(and the even more ridiculous additional recent bump, that means there are now 3 within the space of just 80 yards!!) is a needless waste of a huge amount of Council money that could have been better spent on more urgent traffic management schemes in the area.

What's done is now done, and we can only wait and see what the outcomes (if any) are.

2010, initial traffic count, then application for external funding and consultation.

Now: final traffic counts and monitering before works begin on Forest Hill Road. I have't got the start date yet, but will post when I have.

Keep me posted as to what you think once all the works are complete Brian.

I've had some positive feedback from residents about the Scutari Road works from residents.

Renata

feel sorry for you. we live over in Nunhead and the residents lobbied the council to take out the raised tables as they and the buses etc were causing subsidence to the road and properties. Since the've been removed we are now not shaking everytime a manic bus driver puts his foot down

Renata

Is all Forest Hill road being monitored? Nothing is being done about large removal vans parking on yellow lines between Honor Oak Rise and Honor Oak Park and between Honor Oak Rise and Brenchkey Gardens. Even when parked legallly there is absolutely no visibility.

These vans are not parked for the purpose of removal - merely for somewhere to park when not in use.

Hi DJ,

there are two separate scheme: Forest Hill Rd and East Dulwich Rd/Peckham Rye.

Forest Hill Road will start around March 2013 (lower part) and go into 2013/14(upper part)

East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye, during this tax year once the OK has come back from TFL

Both schemes are TFL funded rather than from core Council funding.

Renata

Actually later part of August and early Sept. Yes, I know, James some residents may have been away for part of the holiday period. I have had no complaints about the timing of the consultation. However, I have had positive response about the scheme itself. The consultation happened not because of councillors, but becuase of residents and what they said in the previous consultation about the Colyton Rd/Forest Hill Rd junction.

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keep me posted as to what you think once all the

> works are complete Brian.

Will do Renata.

I would also like to say that I don't endorse Fred's rather rude and graceless comments. The Council does have an enormous workload, relating to all manner of services and responsibilities that often go unrecognised. We only raise the flags and voice of complaint when we feel individually affected in a negative way.

So let's not 'put some stick where it belongs', but instead monitor the effects and outcomes of this work, and let the Council know whether it can be considered a success. I expect, on Scutari Rd, that will be a very long wait, unless there is an actual accident.

Time will tell.