Southwark Council: October 17 Council Assembly

There's another Council Assembly on the horizon. This is the full meeting of all the ward councillors in Southwark, which takes place seven times a year.

We used to hold them at the council chamber in Southwark Town Hall but since July 2011 they've been hosted at community-based locations and the venue for October 17 will be confirmed soon.

Meanwhile, we've started another programme of community outreach and engagement in preparation for the themed debate which on October 17 will be about 'Opportunities for young people in Southwark, including youth employment'.

This is the part of the main business meeting where councillors debate an issue that's of particular relevance to people across the borough, and to ensure that they have a strong sense of 'what the people think' we compile a dossier of 'community views' which is circulated to all councillors in advance of the meeting.

As part of this process, the East Dulwich Forum has proved to be a rich source of comment and opinion. So, let's have your thoughts on 'Opportunities for young people in Southwark, including youth employment'.

For example:

What would most improve the life opportunities of young people in Southwark?

How can we as a community provide them with better employment prospects?

What's troubling young people in Southwark?

What's on your minds?

We're keen to hear from anyone, but clearly the voice of young people themselves needs to be an integral part of this process.

You can post your views here and they'll be captured that way, or you can email them to [email protected]

When the process is complete we'll share a link to the final dossier of community views. Here's what the most recent one looked like, for the July 2012 assembly debate on 'Health in Southwark':

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s29970/Community%20Views.pdf

Our deadline for capturing your views is 5pm on Friday 28 September.

'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever has.'

Margaret Mead, and me.

I accept that the future of our 'young' people is an important issue to deal with. I hope you get a lot of input and ideas.

I would, however, also argue for the future of those people who have a lot of talent and skills and life experience to offer but because they are not 'young', and assumed to be wanting to live on a reasonable wage, they are not considered employable even though they have so much (more) to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Confirmation that the October 17 Council Assembly will be held at Walworth Academy, Shorncliffe Road, London SE1 5UJ.

We'll start with an hour-long informal session from 6pm. Join the Mayor of Southwark in celebrating the Olympic legacy and achievements by our young people.

? Sporting displays by Team Southwark winners in The London Youth Games 2012.

? Meet some of the young writers behind Southwark?s

Olympic Youth Poem.

? Exhibition of Southwark?s sporting heroes.

? Various stalls promoting work and training

opportunities for young people.

Meanwhile, we've had a zero response here so far to our call for your views on 'opportunities for young people in Southwark, including youth employment'.

Given that youth unemployment in London has soared to crisis proportions not seen for a generation, with one in four young people aged 16 to 24 unemployed, this is a critical debate and we really would appreciate your input.

We need to share our usual dossier of community views with all councillors in advance of their debate on October 17 and can include your points of view if we receive them, ideally, by this Friday 28 September.

This will ensure that we give councillors sufficient time to consider your views and suggestions and to take them on board.

We can extend this deadline to Wednesday October 3 as a final cut off point.

Dear Community Cohesion

I'm sorry you've had zero replies - but I'm not absolutely what you're asking for.

I think it would be excellent if young people in Southwark had the opportunity for satisfying, useful and properly paid employment matched with their existing skills and with prospects of making progress according to their potential. I am disgusted by the insinuation by government that young people (or indeed people of any age) are at fault when there are no suitable jobs for them. I am sickened by the idea that they should work for free for low-rent commercial exploiters.

Frankly, I'm not exactly sure what I expect southwark Council to do about it. It could offer "work placements" but one of the main things about "work" is the "pay" and the sense that you are valued and paid properly for your efforts.

Hello Bawdy-Nan,

This is Michael Cleere from Southwark Council.

I submitted a reply earlier today but it hasn't appeared. I'm sure this is just a technical issue.

We're looking for people's ideas and opinions about how we as a community - and not just the council - can help young people to realise their life ambitions, and I think these two questions are of particular relevance:

What would most improve the life opportunities of young people in Southwark?

How can we as a community provide them with better employment prospects?

We also need to gain a better understanding of the real issues and concerns for young people here and now. We did a similar exercise for the March council assembly earlier this year in advance of its debate on the needs of older people and that delivered some striking results. You'll find a summary of the views gathered here:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s27702/Community%20views%20on%20the%20themed%20debate.pdf

This is where your comments are very helpful.