Pubs on Saturday 4rh July..(independence day)

We went unbooked to the Watsons General Telegraph last late afternoon, and today to the Herne, again without a booking. Both were very civilised, and efficient. The bar staff in both were enthusiastic to be back and excellent. It does feel different, with table service in the Herne and ordering on an app in the WGT. I think if you aren't up to speed with your own smartphone you would struggle, but I would recommend both venues of an afternoon. As a shuffling tramp of the after part of 55 years, I'm not really arsed with going out in the evening; all the staff I talked to said last weekend was hectic. If you are craving a pub moment, but a bit bemused that you've spent so much time being cautious to be now given the OK, I think I shall recommend both the WGT and the Herne for a sneaky pint post-dog-walk.

It doesn't feel hugely pubby, but it is still great to be out. (And I'm not a supporter of the Get Everything Moving Again mentality, just do rather like a quick pint)

As I think I said elsewhere, I personally don't feel ready to go into a pub.

But, is it controversial to say that there comes a point where containing the spread of the pandemic cannot be our ONLY concern? When we're talking about people's businesses, careers, livelihoods. Their ability to pick up their lives, pay their bills and feed themselves and their families. These things are important too, the job of the government is not just to protect our health. There is a balance, and I'm not necessarily saying we've got it right, but we can't close down the country forever.

It seems that a lot of what help is there is given to the allies of this government (like Wetherspoons).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/11/pub-landlords-livid-lack-of-support-rishi-sunak

I'll be back in the pubs but the current arrangement doesn't suit me and I'm happier at home (and saving money as my beer is so much cheaper) - Going out can only be for social reasons or a pint of draught (yet to try the kegs of beer you can buy online).

The world didn't stand a chance. Does anyone think that the information that came out of China was totally reliable? (probably about as unbiased and reliable as the Guardian imho!)I certainly don't.

This timeline is very telling.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/timeline-china-coronavirus-spread-200126061554884.html

And as we have all seen around here many people have ignored the lockdown and the precautions.

Ignoring China we should have been ready - isn't seeing through lies what our intelligence departments are for.

Supposedly the UK leads the world in Intelligence - we seem to have failed or taken our eye off the ball for some reason.