boris bikes to be extended to southwest london

In general, travel from this part of SE London is much better than SW London. The overland train in SW London only goes to Waterloo whereas here from the various local stations you have London Bridge, Blackfriars, Victoria and soon all the stations on the ELL. From ED, the journey to waterloo / charing cross is about the same with a change as a direct train from places like Barnes and Puteny. The district line is terrible, particularly of a rush hour. But I suppose that's why I live here and not there!

I am hoping the Boris Bikes scheme is expanded south once the new Barclays Superhighways open over coming years. If you look at existing Superhighways, there seems to be a more pronounced focus on bikes around these routes.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/roadusers/barclays-cycle-superhighways-map.pdf

Routes CS5 and CS6 should benefit our area, and I expect new bikes to be put in place by that time. I know its a way off, but good things come to those who wait.

On the transport links, we also forget its a fairly seemless journey to the Eurostar. The train from Denmark Hill to SPI is less than 25 minutes.

I hate travelling on the tube - more than happy with the quality of our transport links - just need higher frequency for certain rail routes!

Solution is to move to HOP, trains to LB, Canary Wharf via CW on your doorstep and 15min walk to crofton park will open up trains to blackfriars, city thameslink, farringdon and kings cross.

The only problem is getting to lordship lane on the weekend ;-)

It would be interesting to see that proposed cycle route in more detail. Does anyone know if the powers that be have decided on a range, i.e. how far from the centre they will position Ken/Brian/Boris bikes. Do they go further north in distance than south for instance?

titch juicy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> how are you getting from London Bridge to Bank?

> Crawling?

>

> It takes 5 minutes to walk across London Bridge to

> Bank Station. You can be in the heart of the City

> in under half an hour- easily.

>

> You can get the Charing Cross Train 2 stops from

> London Bridge, which takes 5-10 mins to be in the

> heart of the West End (again- full journey, less

> than half and hour).

As MarkE said - best time I can get to Bank is 15 mins and that's at a pretty decent pace.

I've done the Charing Cross route a few times and it usually takes me 35-40 mins. If you want to go anywhere like Regent's park or Knightsbridge, you can add another c.10 minutes on.

It really not that much better on the tube unless you are in central London. For SW London (Putney / Richmond) the district line only runs every 8-10 min typically. For parts of London where the train is really frequent (like Clapham) during the morning rush hour you can?t get on the first train that comes (missing 1-2 is typical). All in all I really don?t think SE London is that bad for transport unless you are comparing it to central London.

Richmond is zone 4, so not really a fair comparitor. Clapham has far better transport, both during rush hour but more notably at other times outside of peak times. It also has buses and trains as alternatives to the tube, a cycle superhighway and shortly, Boris bikes. The residents contribute the same to tfl's budget as we do. I suspect they get conaiderbly more of that investment back in local services. I think we could expect more here, in SE London.