The Drum-Northcross rd selling up

karter

True, throwing allegations of drug selling and taking is unadvisable, but we all want a quiet life. If someone's continually flouting a law, then I can understand why the offendee is getting cheesed off. Sure, noise will happen, but if there is a law that's designed to minimise it and it's broken, then a reasonable person would understand the complainer's annoyance. Nero

Just to be picky, it was a school (St John's & St Clement's) not a church. It moved to it's current location in approx 94/95, I remember a friend and I doing some work experience there when we were 6th formers, and it was early days on the new site.

The part of the building directly opposite The Drum was my infants class.

Ah I remember the chicken shop, the chicken was bloody awful, BUT they did great pizza for a pound! (well as great as any pizza for a pound is going to be). We were regular visitors when 3 of us were sharing a flat on Barry Road and drinking ourselves almost out of work! Happy Daze! :)-D

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And before that it was The Star Of India

> restaurant. They were brilliant in there. On

> several occasions I can remember going back there

> late and knocking on the door and they'd come down

> in their dressing gowns and cook us a meal. Lovely

> people.

That's appauling Jah! I hope you don't think every restaurant should do that for you! I'd never dream of dragging someone out of bed to cook for me! pissed ot not.

Ok, so my comment about sound and churches was wrong, sorry fo0r that. I agree Nero, people are entitled to complain if laws are flouted but, and it's a very important but, some people are really keen on complaining. So much so I'd like a law to deal with neighbours who can be shown to be doing so with excessive zeal.

I believe many people here have referred to the lock ins and dodgy types - we used to have dealers who used to deal in our driveway and in the chicken place!

To say we enjoy complaining is not true - we moved here when the street was actually really quiet and many of the bars and shops were residential- if you remember what the street was like before you couldn't possibly imagine it would turn out as it did. When the drum opened we did not expect the noise to be as excessive as it is - and actually having AC would solve a lot of the problems. When the chicken place was there it was awful - especially the litter! and I cannot tell you how relieved we were when it shut down - of course that was short lived when we found out The Drum had applied for a late licence. As I said B4 I have no problem with restaurants bars and cafes that are near us as long as they are respectful of their neighbours - the Thai Corner cafe is always heaving with people - and yes some of them can be very rowdy late at night but the Thai Corner cafe usually ask people to be quieter and of they don't on some occasions we let it go as they are normally pretty good - but the Drum are not - we have even had an incident where their customers were throwing fireworks under our cars the first year they opened and they did nothing about it!! do yu think that is reasonable? It is not a vendetta we are waging! if it was we would have come on the forum earlier to tell everyone about this - what spurred me to write something today was what forum members wrote about the neighbours opposite (actually I think the couple you are referring to are also our neighbours) 'being weird' etc etc - I can assure we are all quite normal friendly people - just upset about the actions of one particular establishment that we feel impinges too much on our privacy/right to be able to sleep! sorry if that offends!

*edited because it may be libellous and I don't want to get anyone onto trouble, sorry if it skews the following messages*

yes I thought so too - the chicken place never got raided either and the police never sent anyone when i caught people dealing right outside my front door! - but there you go - bigger fish to fry I guess...anyway hopefully that has all stopped now - the problems are def worse in the summer when it is generally busier..and can I just point out that we do not complain every time they break the licence or something happens?? frankly it never seems to get us anywhere and I for one now try to ignore them as much as I can - just can't handle the stress with two small kids to deal with as well

I'm not unsympathetic but statements like for instance the firework thing, how do you know it was The Drum's customers? There used to be alot of peeing up The Drum's shutters at one point obviously done by those that had had their fill along LL Lane and made their way up NC Road. I think The Drum gets the pointy finger for things out of their control sometimes. Believe me I know that it can be a crazy place but even so.

Tillie,

If the police actually wanted to catch people selling and taking drugs, all they'd have to do is wander into just about any bar in London after 2pm and ask the revellers to turn their pockets out.

London can and does have its fair share of intolerant neighbours, but I find myself sympathising with Sweetchicken to a certain extent - mostly because of the evidence from everyone else - who are happy to fondly remember the lock-ins with 'edgy clientele' who are well-up for a sniff of this and a nibble of that.

Basically.. just my kind of place! But c'mon - let's face it - some people here should be all too aware of how those evenings progress: the music wanders up a bit too high and stays there for a few tracks until someone turns it down again.. people come and go throughout the night.. they run-out of gear and have to call someone to get some more. And so the cycle continues throughout the night.

I'll bet you do, Tillie.. you little tinker.

Personally, I'd rather live next door to a busy but early closing bar with a strict chuck-out time than I would an empty bar which turned into a mini-party every other week (just when you least wanted it to).

Well, well, well. Here's little old me, waxing lyrical about how cute and wholesome I thought the Drum was, with its great sarnies, good beer and accommodating staff. Talk about innocent abroad. All the while it was a steaming den of iniquity. Nero

My husband has read this thread and just pointed out to me that what I said about drug dealing is probably libelous as no one has actually been arrested there so I had better withdraw that comment. I am sorry I said it - that's what comes of posting something in the heat of the moment! Anyway I also wanted to say that I would love it if there was a busy, friendly, responsibly run bar over the road - with a 'strict chucking out time' and no 'loud' music - I would be the first to support it - when I walk past on a sunny saturday and see the families sitting sipping their lattes/beers and eating lunch then I am in fact quite jealous of the fact that I cannot do the same - needless to say I doubt they would serve me! I really do hope that if does shut down a better place opens up.