The Drum-Northcross rd selling up

karter

Just wanted to stick my oar in - I for one am glad they might be going - they have consistently proven themselves to be very poor neighbours - having a late night bar frequented by 'dodgy types' right opposite you is no fun believe me! - and in the summer the noise coming from the bar late at night is horrendous - they have strict terms on their licence which means they are not supposed to be out past 10 at night on the pavement and that they keep the door shut at all times (except when customers enter and leave of course) and during the winter months they do this - but as soon as it is sunny they have the doors open as they have no air conditioning -I hope that if someone else buys the lease they are more neighbourly - and also that Southwark look again at the terms of the licence and actually show an interest in imposing them! Just to point out we have have never had those kind of problems with the other businesses on Northcross Road e.g Thai Corner Cafe - even though they might have lots of drunk people inside them on a friday and saturday night!

**edited because it may be libellous an I don't want to get anyone onto trouble, sorry if it skews the following messages**

Also not a very good comparison - "we have have never had those kind of problems with the other businesses on Northcross Road e.g Thai Corner Cafe - even though they might have lots of drunk people inside them on a friday and saturday night!"

Surely that is a differently kind of clientel altogether!

The name SweetChicken, what irony! I remember those 'poor neighbours' asking for the door to be shut in the height of the summer mid afternoon on many occasions. I have also been there when they have complained when there has been very low music and half a dozen people in there! Do remember that these people were trying to veto this bar and lost so have tried fairly tirelessly to have The Drum shut down. Took them to court once, didnt win that either! No other neighbours ever put in a complaint to my knowledge.

If you live in a commercially active street there will be noise. Whilst noise carrying into where you live must be a pain living in a Church is asking for noise issues what with it being designed to amplify sound.

This story of small groups or even just single households being determined to close down what they view as 'noisy' businesses is one I've heard several times before all over London yet it never ceases to puzzle me. Whilst we are all entitled to want peace and quiet in our homes by choosing to live in a busy city noise will happen around us whether we like it or not. It's a pain for all concerned for sure but ultimately some people need to be a little more practical about what they expect their environment to be like.

Oh, and if the place of full of dealers what do they look like?

(edited coz i can't spell well)