The Drum-Northcross rd selling up

karter

Absolutely Keef and that was last time I went in there. The silly sod managed to empty his bar in seconds. Not good for business. Berk!

Oh and by the way I've always paid my way in there and more. He just seems to have lost the plot.

Yes, also Blue is a lovely little doggie. I feel sorry for some of the other staff like Cooper who have tried very hard to make it successful.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh and by the way I've always paid my way in there and more.

Wasn't suggesting otherwise Jah, was referring to another incident involving some friends a good while back.

It was crap. There's enough bars on Lordship Lane that if you are anything less than good then you are going to fail. It didn't seem to quite know what it was trying to prove other than being 'cool'. All mouth and no trousers, but god knows what'll move in in its place with the crazy rents on Northcross Rd

Jah I have a feeling that the couple you are talking about may have been my old next door neighbours, they definitely moved in to one of the flats when the school was converted. They were always a bit odd.

As an aside, I've always wanted to have a lok in those flats as that was my school.

It's not difficult to get a licence if the premises were previously used to dispense alcohol. It's more down to showing how you plan to run the bar and minimise any effect on residents and antisocial behaviour. There are regs on the use of outside (how much you spill out onto the pavement) which varies by location, but the overriding factor is noise irritation to residents.

giggirl Wrote:

> I must admit I've never been inside. In the days

> before the smoking ban The Drum always looked

> particularly smokey - that's very off-putting in a

> small place.

xxxxxx

It was extremely smokey. It was vile. I once spent an unpleasant couple of hours there practically choking to death and never went back as a result. When the smoking ban came in, I had got into the habit of not going to the Drum.....

I wonder how many other people were put off by the smoke .....

Brendan Wrote:

> How late does their license let them stay open and

> are there regulations on the use of the outside?

Not sure how late the licence is but you are not allowed to drink outside after 10pm - not even soft drinks. Apparently the neighbours opposite are very vigilant and report any breaking of th rules.

I have to add my tuppenceworth as a Drum regular (and loner as I am always by myself in there). Sad to hear but I guess inevitable. It wasn't ever properly run as a business really and Jah Lush / Ant are about on the money and will know the main reasons. Saturdays it is great for the families at the market. But its been a bit edgy recently at off peak moments with certain clientele.

For a while they did great rolls and lunchtime snacks....and I always got the best pint of Peroni in there. I'd like to salute Cooper who made great efforts, is a great guy and has a great dog. I may have to visit soon for a fairwell pint.

The Drum had a few things going for it, the most obvious being Cooper, his amazing Nachos and soups and of course his dog Blue. Whatever happens with The Drum I hope to see more of Cooper, he's a good man and cook who deserves to do well.

That said the service at The Drum is inconsistent at best, often customers leave from having had to wait to be spoken to which is a basic. Rob the co-owner brings a weird atmosphere with him - window smashing dramas aside - he seems a bit disconnected in a way that bar managers just can't be.

For me it's a shame it will close but so long as I can get hold of those Nachos I won't mind too much.

ap

Oh, and as for Louisa who posted on p1 of this thread, what's with your misery? The closing of a bar involves the loss of livlihoods which for the people concerned is about as serious as it gets. Whilst you might not like The Drum, cheering on it's demise shows us the extent of your dreary awfulness. Maybe go read The Mail and cheer yourself up a little.

char1ie Wrote:

> Ah the legend that is the Drum. Unfortunately it

> is only legendary for the lock ins and the drug

> taking so was never a long-term proposition.

> What's Dave's next venture going to be?

>

>

> Charlie

sorting himself out hopefully.