Moving to Fenwick Road - off East Dulwich Road

Jenni

A subject close to my heart.

Jenni, welcome to the area. I live on Peckham Rye the SE15 side, diagonnaly opposite from you.

I am a motorcyclist but occasionally have been known to do the walking thing.

The perception of danger, and the fear of getting attacked and so on has little if anything to do with the realistic chance that you may be.

Basically, if you look like a victim....

Also remember that of those that are attacked, most of them are men, and most of the men are black.

So statistically speaking you're already in the minority (only going on gender alone!)

When walking (specially on a long walk to Greenwich if you choose to do that) always look like you know where you are going, do not talk on your mobile, and have your keys to hand, so that SHOULD you think someone is following you you may look like you're coming home soon, sort of thing. Be aware of who is around you. Think proactively. Many people including me use iPods but I am still aware of who is around me without being paranoid...!

Make friends with your neighbours and offer them your mobile number so they may offer you yours in case of emergency.

Be proactive. The area is lovely. And definitely enjoy the park.

On a thread on this part of the forum I started a section about the Southwark Council safer neighbourhood teams and the phone numbers for them which include contacts with PCSOs, Community Wardens and the actual police themselves. Find it, and put those numbers on your mobile. Get to know your safer neighbourhood teams. Volunteer to be a streetleader (go on the Southwark Council Website and find the link, or email [email protected] to ask him about it. Streetleaders basically offer to look after the area they live in and report things that need fixing, whether it be graffiti, broken fences, dumped stuff, abandoned cars, etc etc. We have meetings to discuss stuff and also get to go on Ward Panel meetings with the police. it's about making the effort and by posting on here you have begun!

Having said the above, welcome again, take part, and I hope you enjoy the walking and exploring whatever time of day or night!

I once lived on Fenwick and it is actually a very safe street down the bottom end towards Amott and Nutbrook, but up the other end can be rather intimidating at night with gangs of kids hanging around outside those dreadful flats. It's not as safe as some of the streets closer to LL but as long as you arnt walking after about 9 at night and dont carry around any obvious bits and bobs like mobile or handbag then you'll be fine.

Louisa.

Hello,

Thanks for that info, it is great to find out these things before I move in. This forum is a great resource, really glad I found it, I'll take your tips on the walking thing also, I like the exercise and don't walk around looking like I have much of value for mugging! I previously lived in Edinburgh city centre for twelve years and I avoided a few areas but other than that it felt safe enough to walk around anywhere at most times. I'm looking forward to having Peckham Rye so close by for sitting reading a book in the summer or whatever - I'm in Norwich presently and the parks all seem pretty far apart. I'll check out the safer neighbourhood team also, it's nice to know a community sensibility still exists, go easy, J.

OH MY GOD Louisa, she'll be by those AWFUL FLATS???!!!

Do you mean (cough splutter choke) COUNCIL flats where.... POOR people live, and being thus poor they must therefore be evil bad nasty scum out-of-working class villains?

How will she survive?

Oh wait, she'll survive because people who live in those flats might just be nice people too.

Thanks, I will do, won't be there for few months but will check in then, I was aware of the flats but they look pretty well kept, I can vouch for council tenants not being all bad - being one myself at the minute, go easy,

J

PR as Sean has already pointed out, I did not in any way at all over step the mark. I never suggested it was a working class problem I just pointed out that those flats attracted gangs of kids of an evening and it COULD be rather intimidating to some people. Jenni I do appologise for PR's rather ignorant attitude, obviously not aware that I am one of the few people on EDF who does stand up for the rights and values of the settled working class community in ED.

Louisa.

Louisa

As one of the few people who stands up for (and speaks for) the settled working class community in ED - are you sure they all share the same values? Might they not actually be quite a varied lot and don't need a spokesperson?

I tell thee, if anyone professed to speak for the Irish ex-pat community in ED I'd be on to them before you could say "Se?n says NOOOOOO"

Sean I didnt intend to be a spokesperson, it is something that has been forced upon me because certain ignorant forumites make grossly unfair and often misleading comments (as PR has done in this case) which in turn lead me to defend myself and often others too. Why are we talking about this on a thread setup by a new ED person anyhow, I am trying to welcome her into the area and offer some advice and then PR comes along and makes assumptions about what I have already posted. Get a grip people!

Louisa.

I used to live on Fenwick Road, at the junction with East Dulwich Road - and yes, I did find the few yards around the front door a bit intimidating. There were often nutters hanging around there (perhaps I can be forgiven for not asking them what social class they'd claim to belong to) partly because in those days the Costcutter opposite was one of the only places to buy booze out of hours. Occasionally they'd beat the crap out of each other, but never had a go at me.

I was told when I viewed the property that a lot of the kids that used to hang around over the last

ten years had grown up and moved on mostly. I think the area is lovely and in ideal proximity to

lots of things that well outweigh not particularly liking people hanging around on the street or

at the end of the road - if that is what it is still like! I checked out the area in daylight and

in the evening and it seemed fine. It is always good to know the negatives as well as the positives,

thanks for all the feedback, it's appreciated.

Jenni

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, and you're just round the corner from The Gowlett which is a nice pub with a pool table and great pizza! I have to say I saw absolutely nothing at all in Louisa's post that I'd disagree with. The flats can be intimidating, simple as that. Depends if you're the type to be intimidated or not.

Hi Jenni

Welcome to the neighbourhood. We live just around the corner on Tyrrell Road, at the bottom of Oakhurst Grove, but we have very good friends living in Fenwick Road. They've been there about 6 years and not a single problem I am aware of. They have three small children, a beautiful home, and near as I can tell, get along happily with their neighbours. One of the best things about this area is the diversity... we have been here three years and hope to be here another 30.

S.

I have lived on Fenwick Road since September and have always felt very safe whatever time of the day and end of road I was walking from. I have not seen any gangs of youths hanging around - I think this must be a problem of the past! Welcome to the area, Jenni.

4hw Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have lived on Fenwick Road since September and

> have always felt very safe whatever time of the

> day and end of road I was walking from. I have not

> seen any gangs of youths hanging around - I think

> this must be a problem of the past! Welcome to the

> area, Jenni.

Oh well. Should have tried to buy that flat when it was still nearly affordable.

The other positive about Fenwick is that it is in close proximity to a working mans cafe, a good bus route and a small Tesco. It's pretty well served, the only issue you may have is being close to Rye Lane, I know I can smell it from where I live so god only knows what it's like down there now!

Louisa.

Hope this does not put a dampener on matters, but a female frind, who lives in that area told me she had a knife held to her throat a couple of weekends ago, outside of the Rye hotel. About 8pm in the evening. Luckily a cyclist stopped and she was able to run off. Of course, this could happen anywhere, but as others have said, don't look like a victim.

Bad things happen everywhere!! Even in West Dulwich and East Dulwich, muggings, murders and the rest. Even sleepy countryside have their share of crimes also. Where there are humans there will always be problems, Some of us are lucky enough never to encounter any problems and some of us have bad timing.

It is hardly the Bronx or deepest darkest Peckham/Camberwell. So just be savvy and hopefully you will be as lucky as never to have bad timing and be in the wrong place at the wrong time!