Palestinian lives matter

Chick
Message added by Administrator,

This is a highly emotive topic. Please debate respectfully. Avoid making provocative statements, personal attacks and accusations against other forum members. 

You will be restricted from posting in this topic if you fail to abide by this.

• 3 months later...
On 30/05/2024 at 12:02, HeadNun said:

Neither side has clean hands and the same applies historically. That is why I cannot fathom people taking sides, especially people with no connection to, or knowledge of, the region. It's incredibly complicated and, I fear, impossible to resolve. 

Is anyone angry with Iran for their role in all of this? It may be too simplistic but the moment Saudi were taking steps to normalise relations with Israel, Hamas decided to launch their attack knowing full well the right wing Israeli government would use it to flatten Palestine. Innocent civilians on all sides are being caught in the mess - pawns in a much bigger geo-political battle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

off the top of my head and I stand to be corrected Saudi and it's relationship with the west (and of course the need for oil from the west) is a major factor.  In turn this goes back to the role of Britain as a relatively soft colonial power, the evolving role of the US post second world war, and western foreign policy ever since.  Europe in recent decades tending to be more pro Arab and US pro-Israel.  Trump and the abandoning of some of Clinton's good work in helping to tie Iran down in terms of their nuclear capability didn't help.  How much Trump begat Netanyahu I don't know, noting that he got in during the Biden administration, Netanyahu certainly favours a Republican victory.

Of course we can't unravel all of this.

Whilst the above was posted off the top of my head apart from a Google to spell Netanyahu's name and a sneaky look at his relationship with Trump the wiki entry on Iran/Saudi may be of interest.

Saudi could collapse one day like a pack of cards.  I'm certainly not going on holiday there no much how they try to persuade us otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Saudi_Arabia_proxy_conflict

• Like 1