No food waste collection

There was certainly a collection in Underhill yesterday, and west side Wood Vale, so I think the collections are normal, but the teams are changed a bit, so if you put your brown bin somewhere else but by the front of your property they might miss it. I put my small (kerb side) caddy up on a wall (otherwise it's at ideal dog watering level) and it was nearly missed once because the collector was looking at ground level.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this is what you're paying extra for, right ?

No the extra is for the garden waste- I'm sure I saw them empty the food waste contents into the garden waste bin yesterday?

I'm sure I saw them empty the food waste contents into the garden waste bin yesterday?

You will have done - whilst Southwark separated (so they could charge for garden waste) the food and garden waste elements of organic recyclables, their supplier, Veolia, does not have separate treatment plants for the two locally, so there is no economy for them in separating waste collection. Kitchen waste (I think) can be anaerobically digested (if there is suitable plant) which acts to produce bio-methane - this happens in a sealed container - whereas garden waste is composted to be used as fertiliser. At the moment all the organic Southwark waste is composted (as you would in a home composter in your garden).