The Cherry Tree official opening Thursday 30th August

Posted by RosieH Today, 02:46PM

...Perhaps not, but it should. Heating up the outside rather than putting a coat on is indefensible, whichever way you look at it...

Doesn't our star, the sun, heat up the outside? Can't see what harm a few heaters will do given the power of the sun. That's one way to look at it.

So many establishments heating the outside just to please Smokers.

Whilst inside there is often no heating at all.

A new campaign has been launched to halt the spread of environmentally-damaging patio heaters.

The heaters - an increasingly familiar sight outside pubs and at family barbecues - have become a hate figure for green groups.

They say the heaters, which can cost as little as ?75, only heat the sky and could be responsible for as much as 1m tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.

But in a new survey the Energy Saving Trust (EST) claim the gas and electric powered heaters are growing in popularity and ownership is set to almost double from 1.2 million to 2.3 million.

It is estimated that larger commercial heaters are now in almost 60,000 pubs, 25,000 restaurants and thousands more hotels, clubs, cafes and bars.

Related Article..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/emissions/3301531/Patio-heaters-targeted-over-CO2-emissions.html

Fox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So many establishments heating the outside just to

> please Smokers.

> Whilst inside there is often no heating at all.

>

> A new campaign has been launched to halt the

> spread of environmentally-damaging patio heaters.

>

> The heaters - an increasingly familiar sight

> outside pubs and at family barbecues - have become

> a hate figure for green groups.

>

> They say the heaters, which can cost as little as

> ?75, only heat the sky and could be responsible

> for as much as 1m tonnes of CO2 emissions per

> year.

>

> But in a new survey the Energy Saving Trust (EST)

> claim the gas and electric powered heaters are

> growing in popularity and ownership is set to

> almost double from 1.2 million to 2.3 million.

>

> It is estimated that larger commercial heaters are

> now in almost 60,000 pubs, 25,000 restaurants and

> thousands more hotels, clubs, cafes and bars.

>

> Related Article..

>

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/emissions/

> 3301531/Patio-heaters-targeted-over-CO2-emissions.

> html

>

> Fox

Why not also complain about barbeques and campfires?

In fact, the amount of heat leaking out of a pub building in winter will utterly dwarf the output of a few patio heaters.

I was in Helsinki earlier this year and we went to a nice outdoor bar in a square where the bouncers brought us over massive blankets because it was a bit nippy - we thought it was a really cool idea. I don't really have an opinion on patio heaters but it may be a nice alternative.

Posted by Cedges Today, 12:32PM

I was in Helsinki earlier this year and we went to a nice outdoor bar in a square where the bouncers brought us over massive blankets because it was a bit nippy - we thought it was a really cool idea...

Are you sure you didn't wander into an old peoples care home at by mistake? Easy mistake to make with language and cultural differences

Hi all

well we've been busy and are nearly ready - some paint may be a bit sticky but on the whole we're looking good.

bring a jumper or a coat if your a smoker, or just stand a bit closer to the lighter, no heaters here.

our chef is preparing mini samples of some of the menu to give away.

so come along and have a drink - enjoy some great free food - then you can judge for yourselves.

many thanks for all the positive input, look forward to seeing you later.

chrisharvey Wrote:

> bring a jumper or a coat if your a smoker, or just

> stand a bit closer to the lighter, no heaters

> here.

Chris, would you mind if I came down and kissed you?

Definitely more welcoming and the food smelt good (was too late for the free tasters) but ?2.80 for a J20??!! As a non-drinker I feel like I'm being punished in some way! Will come back but please offer a choice of soft drink for less than ?2 next time. (Otherwise I will have to order a cordial. Times are hard)

;-)

silverfox Wrote:

> Posted by Cedges Today, 12:32PM

>

> I was in Helsinki earlier this year and we went to

> a nice outdoor bar in a square where the bouncers

> brought us over massive blankets because it was a

> bit nippy - we thought it was a really cool

> idea...

>

> Are you sure you didn't wander into an old peoples

> care home at by mistake? Easy mistake to make with

> language and cultural differences

Lol I see your point but it was def a bar - and they spoke better, clearer English than me over there! But of course, I am one of those ghastly northerners so its to be expected!

;-)

DulwichFox Wrote:

> ?3.70 for Anstell is cheaper than some other

> outlets.

>

> TGE now charge ?4.60 for Moretti.

>

> Fox.

That is very good by Dulwich standards.

TGE are taking the absolute p!ss with their prices IMO.

Cedges Wrote:

> Lol I see your point but it was def a bar - and

> they spoke better, clearer English than me over

> there! But of course, I am one of those ghastly

> northerners so its to be expected!

What's that now, I thought I was the only northerner in the village?!