Rook

U mean to suggest that just coz a "hopper" bus is small it can fit down the back streets with out removing several wing mirrors, dent or scratching cars and generally getting stuck? Another thread... ;-)

I'm sure a black cab may find it difficult to turn legally on a central london road, darn it's hard enuff to cross a road safely wivout the addition of made cab drivers turning here there and everywhere! :P

I can't understand what is so wrong wiv driving to ED. Cabbies are quite happier to go to Brixton and Streatham... ED isn't that far out of the way :|

We've had soooo many problems with this, the main reason cabbies don't accept is that they have almost no chance of picking up a return fare from ED towards town, they want to do the profitable runs between say the west end and camden. That's why you usually only get refused on a Friday or Saturday evening during the peak periods for taxis.

We once complained about a driver, and received an email back to say that he'd been reprimanded, whether he actually had or not who knows. I can never normally be a*sed doing stuff like this but we'd got so fed up with the situation and he was particularly obnoxious about it. We were already inside the cab and he was refusing to take us (me and my wife)

If you're in the cab and he's refusing to take you, make a note of his number and email a complaint off the next day. Maybe if more people do it'll happen less in the future.

Bottom line is they are a licensed service, and they are obliged to take you. On the one hand they want you to not use the unlicensed dodgy cabs which threaten their trade. Fair enough, I agree, but black cabs should keep their part of the bargain and accept valid fares.

Be interesting to know if any cabbies have a point of view.

I agree that it can be difficult sometimes. My company pays for my cabs if I work late, so I end up taking a cab about 2/3 times per week from Bond Street. I get turned down about one time out of ten and sometimes have to deal with an annoyed cabbie even if they do agree - i had one nutcase complain during the entire 20 minute ride about how much he hated that he had to go all the way to ED (mostly under his breath). Charming! But I find that it's easier if I say Lordship Lane instead of just ED and I always ask them to go via Vauxhall Bridge - going all the way over to Westminster Bridge and then down the Walworth Road always adds at least 10 minutes and ?5 to the fare(and is completely aggravating!).

Had problems getting a cab from Kings Cross once, feeling quite ill and not in the mood for TFL. After waiting in a long queue, I was finally front in line. Three cabs refused to go to East Dulwich Station. Two of them looked as though they didn't know where ED was, the third quite rudely looked to the person next in the queue.

The fourth one reluctantly took me to ED, (taking the longest possible route) even though he saw the previous two drivers refusing. I gave him a good tip - which put a smile on his face.

It's the only way Annasfield, you're right

I always make to take a photograph as soon as they say no. They are not obliged to pull over but as soon as they do and if you are within (I think it's 9 miles now)then they have to

If it's that widespread and if they get enough complaints then something will happen. Since Ken extended from 6 to 9 miles the situation is much better than it used to be so he listened before

I've lived here all my life and whenever I am up the West End I always say "take me to Goose Green please", and then they take the shortest route back to ED because they know you will question them otherwise. I've always done it. On the topic of them not stopping well, a good friend of Mr Louisa and myself is a black cabbie and hes been doing it for 30 years plus and he tells us that 95% of cabbies will now take you "sarf of the river" and the best place to be when asking for them to do so is EAST of trafalgar square heading down Pall Mall up towards Waterloo bridge.

Louisa.

Here it is:

Your complaint has been investigated which involved providing the driver with a copy of your complaint (data protected, no personal details given) for comment.

The only sanctions available to us are to issue a warning or to suspend or revoke the driver?s licence. As you can appreciate the loss of a licence deprives a self-employed individual of the ability to work at their chosen profession and could be seen as disproportionate in respect of a single lapse in the standard of service provided.

Nevertheless, complaints are recorded on driver?s files and if a pattern of complaints and poor behaviour emerges, a driver?s continued fitness to remain licensed is reviewed. If on the balance of probabilities, the Licensing Authority feels that the driver?s conduct is not satisfactory his licence may be suspended or revoked.

The details of this letter together with yours has been noted and placed on file. The driver?s future behaviour will be monitored closely to ensure that this was an isolated incident and not a regular feature of his work.

I am sorry that you should have had cause for complaint, and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, as it is only with the public?s help that we can address passenger concerns and raise standards within the licensed taxi trade.

I really do hate complaining about things, but as I have said many times before I have often been coming home by myself late at night and refused a fare. It angers me to think that in these circumstances individuals (particularly women) will resort to unlicenced cabs.