Fleas

Linz

I can highly recommend flea traps.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flea+trap&sugexp=chrome,mod=6&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There are different ones to get. I just use a simple touch LED light (battery, not plugged in) suspended over a low rimmed plate of water. When we've just had an outbreak, it works so well!

Also, giving the cats the flea injection from the vet, using Advocate as well, plus regular spraying/vacuuming, does the trick nicely.

Such a good thread for anyone with pets !'Lodgers' have developed an immunity to certain products over the last number of years. There has been an increase in the last 3 to 4 weeks of the summer, it coincided with the temperature change, generally does and, as much as I'd love to find an alternative, non chemical solution, there simply isn't one that is as fast and effective as Advocate or products on prescription. An infestation can also be a health risk to pets. I mean infestation left untreated. They procreate in armies, it really is worth a trip to the vet if you are under siege.

Best Purr Lisa x

I have def noticed the dog scratching again despite regular dosing with advocate. The cats seem to be fine tho! we have a can of the stuff from the vets, bit I am always really cautious about using it as I worry about the effect on the animals (and us actually) esp the small rodents in the house ( and i mean hamsters not just the mice the cats bring in!!) I really daft to be worrying about the effects of the fumes on the animals - am I being overly concerned?? I always read the labels and they really push the ' keep room closed for 2 hours and then aerate thoroughly:"

I don't have any carpets (sanded floorboards) but you can get bitten just from having an infested pet sitting on your lap. I had no idea that frontline had become immune (so will take the advice of this thread and switch to advocate) but have always found staykill to be pretty reliable for soft furnishings etc.

Hi Tiddles,

I 've used the household spray a few times over the years, in conjunction with the spot on from the vets ( Frontline spray for young kittens once too as we rescued 14 who were absolutely infested and becoming ill. I'm not sure if there is now a product for really young kittens other than Frontline spray - be great if anyone in the know could add info to this ....Anyway my heart sank as I know it's chemicals, and I don't know the absolute truth about the effects, but I'm not sure they would have survived if I hadn't done so.) Have also seen adult cats and dogs that we've rescued ill from flea infestation and it's often one of the first things that needs attending to before you can see if there are further health issues.

You really should remove yourselves, pets and air thoroughly as per the instructions with the spray but it does work and is the only solution I know. I don't have carpets but I do have many pets of my own, and ones that pass through my place with cushions, duvets and beds pretty much scattered where they want them. In the last 14 years, I've probably only needed to use the spray approximately 4 times but I do use Advocate and am a self confessed slightly obsessive, compulsive cleaner ( inherited gene, unable to shed ! ) Hopefully there will be a better solution one day. Have to say this year has definitely been the worst for noticing a sudden increase in the lodger population.

Warm Purrs Lisa x

We came home from holiday to find the cats infested and our bedroom overrun. Ugh. We're Advocating the cats and Indorexing the house. We've not needed to do either for years,although we've just moved house so maybe some were lurking. The vets said they were selling Indorex like crazy.

Really don't bother with any flea spray from the supermarket etc. The fleas just laugh.

I bombed the house with Indorex last weekend and apart from finding a couple of dying ones over the following days, the house has been flea free since (touch wood). Whatever you do, buy it online instead of at the vets. It's about half the price.

I second the buying online thing. I think alot of pet owners have been caught out. This really has been an avalanche of fleas. Most times just treating the pets is enough to keep them at bay (and why waste houshold spray when there's no need to) but this summer that's not been enough. The good news though is that it's fairly easy to get rid of the damn pests once the full force military treatment is done :)